Railroad Forums 

• Trip Report: Bedroom (Viewliner)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1641685  by Jeff Smith

Not sure if this is a VL I or II: BusinessInsider.com
I spent $1,000 for a 30-hour Amtrak ride in a private bedroom. Take a look inside the 45-square-foot space with its own bathroom.

In October 2021, I spent 30 hours on an Amtrak train traveling from Miami to NYC. Since it was an overnight trip, I booked a bedroom accommodation for $1,000.

The bedroom was about 45 square feet, and I thought it made great use of a small space by packing in amenities without sacrificing room to stretch out and move my body for the long ride.

Follow me into the overnight train accommodation for a peek at every detail of this tiny, moving hotel room.
 #1641688  by Tadman

Business Insider has been doing a lot of these lately. I don't bother to read it as I find the publication to be abject garbage*, but its curious how much they are pushing railfan material.

*The owner was convicted of securities fraud and banned from Wall Street so he now publishes "news". I don't trust a word he publishes as the standards are very low at this rag.
 #1641698  by NaugyRR

My wife and I took a View I bedroom from Boston back to Albany a few times during the pandemic to forego masking and to see how well we'd cohabitate in one for possible future overnight trips. It was pretty comfortable, my only real gripe with them is that the en suite bathroom is a little cramped if you're on the taller side like myself (forget closing the door to sit on the toilet).

They're a bit on the pricey side, but there's no way I could share a roomette comfortably.
 #1641728  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:22 am Not sure if this is a VL I or II: BusinessInsider.com
I spent $1,000 for a 30-hour Amtrak ride in a private bedroom. Take a look inside the 45-square-foot space with its own bathroom.

In October 2021, I spent 30 hours on an Amtrak train traveling from Miami to NYC. Since it was an overnight trip, I booked a bedroom accommodation for $1,000.

The bedroom was about 45 square feet, and I thought it made great use of a small space by packing in amenities without sacrificing room to stretch out and move my body for the long ride.

Follow me into the overnight train accommodation for a peek at every detail of this tiny, moving hotel room.
It looks brighter. VIewliner II.
 #1641762  by John_Perkowski

For $1000 a night, I expect hand crafted martinis and a 14 Oz Kansas City strip. Amtrak no longer passes that test.
 #1641786  by Tadman

Was thinking last night I could use a good martini and wound up with a bottle of Costco Malbec, which aint bad for $6.
 #1641789  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:31 am For $1000 a night, I expect hand crafted martinis and a 14 Oz Kansas City strip. Amtrak no longer passes that test.
I looked at that statement... and said "no way, you gotta accommodate for actual travel because you're moving the entire time..." I was about to start breaking stuff down, but thought better.

I got a quote of overnight flights from BWI (Baltimore/Washington) to Rome. KLM says $1069 in August... with promo prices down sub-$800. I'd imagine they'd be even cheaper during the winter season, and comparable with Amtrak over similar time frame.

But for the price, I know I'm expecting elegant (if pre-packaged) meals that are heavily spiced due to the flight. On the ground, I would expect the savings on the spices to turn into properly cooked meals (IE not pre-packaged, but cooked on board). I am not expecting airline food on non-airline travel methods.
 #1641808  by Frank

John_Perkowski wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:31 am For $1000 a night, I expect hand crafted martinis and a 14 Oz Kansas City strip. Amtrak no longer passes that test.
Supply and demand.