Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

by Rail Boy

Hello all:

I am planning a trip to Southern California in May. We will be renting a car and I am looking for some information on taking pictures of trains.

First and foremost, what is Metrolink's policy and how strict are they on enforcing it? Here on the East Coast, NJ Transit has recinded their policy and Septa requires a permit, but they seldom enforce it.

Second - are there any recommended locations for taking pictures? I would enjoy both Metrolink and some Amtrak locations as well.

Thank you

PS - what are my chances of getting some good weather in May?
  by Kaback9

I have not been out that way in quite some time but San Diego's ex Santa Fe station is a nice spot. You get Coaster and Amtrak Surfliner Trains.
  by farmerjohn

Rail Boy wrote:Hello all:

I am planning a trip to Southern California in May. We will be renting a car and I am looking for some information on taking pictures of trains.

First and foremost, what is Metrolink's policy and how strict are they on enforcing it? Here on the East Coast, NJ Transit has recinded their policy and Septa requires a permit, but they seldom enforce it.

Second - are there any recommended locations for taking pictures? I would enjoy both Metrolink and some Amtrak locations as well.

Thank you

PS - what are my chances of getting some good weather in May?
Well if Metrolink, you can ride it from L.A. to end of the line San Bernardino? Some good and not so good towns around here where you would be tempted to take a picture of a train. Do the San Diego station downtown, you got trolleys, coasters and Amtrak. If you want Freight, Amtrak and Metrolink, do the Fullerton Station.
  by Fan Railer

it all depends on where in LA you are staying. if possible, you could ride the Amtrak surfliner from LA unionstation to san diego.
about policies, i dont think there are any (fingers crossed) in la, wouldn't know about sd, but i dont think so either. anyway, i wouldnt go all out with the pictures until ive checked the websites.
here:
LA
http://www.metrolinktrains.com/
http://www.metro.net/default.asp

SD
http://www.gonctd.com/coaster_intro.htm
http://www.gonctd.com/sprinter_intro.htm
http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/Trolley.asp
  by gprimr1

San Diego station is pretty cool, just watch out for the Rent a Cops and homeless people.

If your interested in an adventure, drive to the Cajon Pass. It'll be almost non-stop railroad action (though with the economy it may have slowed down a little.)

If you browse through these albums, you'll see some pictures of Southern California/Southern California railfans.
http://gregslens.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=35
http://gregslens.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=53

You could also consider the Raton pass, home of the Tehacapi loop.
http://gregslens.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=49

Just remember this important rule:

DO NOT TAKE AN AFTERNOON SURFLINER!

The sun will ruin all the good views of the beach and ocean.
  by Rail Boy

DO NOT TAKE AN AFTERNOON SURFLINER!

The sun will ruin all the good views of the beach and ocean.
Well, the chief is scheduled into LA at around 8am I believe. Assuming it's 3 hours late, we will probably take a little walk and stretch our legs, and hop on like a 1 or 2pm Surfliner to San Diego.

I think that Cajon Pass sounds nice.

I'm hoping to be back in LA the next day in time for the evening rush hour. I would hope to get a few Metrolink Pictures during the rush hour. Any recomended locations for Metrolink pictures? Someone mentioned the San Bernardino Line. I also like the Fullerton Idea, with the Orange County and the 91 Lines, and the Amtraks.

Thanks for the help and the links. Please send me any more ideas if you get them.
  by jebradley

I'm also an Easterner (PA) planning my first trip to San Diego in March '09 and want to ride the San Diego Trolley. Their website puts map/schedule/fare info on one sheet of paper but I have no idea of any security policies. It would seem to be a good idea to skip any pix in San Ysidro since I believe Trolley ends very near Mexican border. They have a $5 pass which enables me to ride the whole system at one visit. Also a good pic could probably be obtained from rear at terminal like Santee. I beleive I heard that they do restrict access to their shop/layup yard which is no surprise and should be done. What about other sites? Do I need to write them for a photo permit? How about S.D. Amtrak/Coaster Depot - any special hassles there? I know it's out in the open. You can't be too careful after 9/11 - I've taken almost no rail pix since then. I also understand it's difficult to get slide film n, only processor is in Kansas or Nebraska; I prefer slides to prints.

James E. Bradley Hawk Mountain Chapter N.R.H.S., Inc.
  by lensovet

jebradley wrote:I'm also an Easterner (PA) planning my first trip to San Diego in March '09 and want to ride the San Diego Trolley. Their website puts map/schedule/fare info on one sheet of paper but I have no idea of any security policies. It would seem to be a good idea to skip any pix in San Ysidro since I believe Trolley ends very near Mexican border. They have a $5 pass which enables me to ride the whole system at one visit. Also a good pic could probably be obtained from rear at terminal like Santee. I beleive I heard that they do restrict access to their shop/layup yard which is no surprise and should be done. What about other sites? Do I need to write them for a photo permit? How about S.D. Amtrak/Coaster Depot - any special hassles there? I know it's out in the open. You can't be too careful after 9/11 - I've taken almost no rail pix since then. I also understand it's difficult to get slide film n, only processor is in Kansas or Nebraska; I prefer slides to prints.

I somehow doubt anyone is really going to hassle you, and if you're concerned, you should just ask officers on the site. "Skipping" taking any photos just because you suspect you can't take them sounds somewhat silly to me.

I can say that I took photos at Amtrak's SD terminal with absolutely no problems at all.
  by gprimr1

I emailed them once asking about their photo rules, they said that they don't require photo permits or anything. I was able to hang around Old Town for an hour or so without being hassled. I just try to blend in. When I was little, my dad used to take me to Lemon Grove Trolly, good place and they have a old steam engine on display.

I'm pretty sure they won't let you walk into the yards but I'm sure if you take pictures from a public area, they can't really say anything. You might capture the new short line "Pacific Sun Rail Road" I think is the name. It's supposed to be the new freight provider for SD. I saw their engines in the Coaster yard in Ocean Side.

I will tell you, while in LA, go to the Cajon Pass and take I-15 north up to Rim of the World Scenic Byway (There's a Best Western and a Del Taco). Take it east until you find Forest Road 3N45. The road is marked by a tiny plackard, but it's located right off the road, about 3/10th of a mile after the road changes to 1 lane each way and it's near power lines. Once you find it, take it. You'll end up right smack dab in front of the railroad tracks. East bounds in the morning, west bounds in the afternoon for good sun. Plenty of space to park and relax, it's all a national park, so they can't really hassle you. The crossings say Private Crossing, but it was my understanding BNSF is required to keep Forest Road 3N45 open to the public.

Once you reach the first railroad, look to the left, and you'll see a hill. Go to the top of the hill for a scenic view of the railroads and the mountains (only in the AM).

There are rattlesnakes in this area, so if you get out, be aware of your surroundings.
  by kaiserworks

jebradley wrote:I'm also an Easterner (PA) planning my first trip to San Diego in March '09 and want to ride the San Diego Trolley. Their website puts map/schedule/fare info on one sheet of paper but I have no idea of any security policies. It would seem to be a good idea to skip any pix in San Ysidro since I believe Trolley ends very near Mexican border. They have a $5 pass which enables me to ride the whole system at one visit. Also a good pic could probably be obtained from rear at terminal like Santee. I beleive I heard that they do restrict access to their shop/layup yard which is no surprise and should be done. What about other sites? Do I need to write them for a photo permit? How about S.D. Amtrak/Coaster Depot - any special hassles there? I know it's out in the open. You can't be too careful after 9/11 - I've taken almost no rail pix since then. I also understand it's difficult to get slide film n, only processor is in Kansas or Nebraska; I prefer slides to prints.

In San Diego and you want freight, your probably going to be limited to later afternoon and evening. There are too many commuter trains thru the day on the mainline north to LA. Now, if you want commuter/Amtrak/trolley, you'll have lots of hours of sunlight. North of SD around DelMar the mainline runs right next to the beach and has some great pic oppertunities. In downtown SD near the convention center you can catch tons of trolley and frieght coming out of the marine terminals. The San Diego, Arizona and Eastern does do limited evening street running in east San Diego to customers along its commercial st. line (these tracks are used by the trolley through the day). You'll love San Diego (I'm biased) and LA will be... LA!? There are great resteraunts in SD and many attractions, try stopping off the trolley at Little Italy for lunch. The SD Santa Fe depot is a lovely building and if there on a sunday, walk due west and take the harbor excursion sunday brunch. Great food and takes you close up to all the Navy piers, seals and occasional gray whale, and don't forget to tour the aircraft carrier Midway (walk southwest from Santa Fe station). Take the trolley alittle further south from Santa Fe Depot in the evening to the foot of the gaslamp district for people watching or cocktails. The trolley green line runs east through mission valley /hotel circle area where you'll get better deals on lodging than in downtown.
WARNING! Do NOT visit Mexico for any reason, the border has become a dangerous place.
  by njtmnrrbuff

DON'T cross into Tijuana. It's a dangerous city from what I have heard. Take the Blue Line to San Ysidro, take your pics, and then take the next one back to San Diego. I have ridden to San Ysidro, and I wasn't all that thrilled with the scenery. You pass by a lot of the ports in San Diego, and warehouses. You run closely parallel to I-5 for a lot of the route. There are plenty of grade crossings.

The Surfline, north of San Diego, offers nice views of the Ocean, but you only parallel it as far as Dana Point, just north of the San Clememte stop. You pass through Delmar, as others stated.
  by Head-end View

I'm from New York and last visited San Diego in 2006. I took pictures all over the Trolley system and never got hassled. San Diego is a long way from New York if you get my drift. You can take the trolley to the border, have lunch at the McDonalds right next to the station and take photos with no problem. Weekends recommended so you blend in with the tourists at the border Trolley Station. The area is flaky but not really dangerous during the day. I stayed in the U.S. and had no problem.
  by feuji

I have visit San Diego in May, it is really beautiful place. This photo was taken in downtown San Diego, California, probably within two-hundred feet. I tried to post the image, but I think I make some mistake during post the link. So I post the link bellow. Thanks.

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/themes/trc/c ... =640&h=480

Regards,