• Transit Police

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sabourinj

Did anybody take the T yesterday and notice the number of Transit Police that were in stations? I noticed 2 standing near the turnstiles at at least 4 of the stations. Maybe it's a sign of things to come? Hopefully...

by Robert Paniagua

I saw three at Park Street just after 6:00PM. Probably just for crowd control and rush hour, that's why they were there.

by sabourinj

Robert Paniagua wrote:I saw three at Park Street just after 6:00PM. Probably just for crowd control and rush hour, that's why they were there.
Actually they were there around 3pm as well, and quite obviously watching the turnstiles.

by Robert Paniagua

Probably for fare Jumpers (that's being discussed here too, ironically!! :-)).

by sabourinj

Robert Paniagua wrote:Probably for fare Jumpers (that's being discussed here too, ironically!! :-)).
I think there should be a new phrase coined for fare evading the new gates since they are pretty hard to jump, you can't really call it fare jumping :-P

by typesix

Maybe due to illegal immigrant rights rally held yesterday late afternoon.

by Reddy Rocker

I also saw a T cop on my ORange Line train home from my walk today. But fortunately no one got arrested.

by Robert Paniagua

Maybe due to illegal immigrant rights rally held yesterday late afternoon.

Yeah I think you're probably right, to have some crowd control due to the high ridership with the immigration protests, since I went thru Park Street Station yesterday, but this time, there were no cops around.

by Ron Newman

I marched in part of that rally, and made the mistake of trying to take the Green Line inbound from Copley as it was winding down. When there are several hundred people standing in line to buy tokens, it is impossible to move past that line to the turnstiles.

Once I did get to the turnstiles, the platform and the train weren't crowded at all. Will Charlie improve this situation or make it worse?

by sabourinj

Ron Newman wrote:I marched in part of that rally, and made the mistake of trying to take the Green Line inbound from Copley as it was winding down. When there are several hundred people standing in line to buy tokens, it is impossible to move past that line to the turnstiles.

Once I did get to the turnstiles, the platform and the train weren't crowded at all. Will Charlie improve this situation or make it worse?
Well you could take it a few different ways in my view.

Charlie will improve because:
*People should be more likely to put more money than one ride on their ticket/card vs. those who dont' want to carry a bunch of tokens.
*Each station gets at least a few vending machines. Where right now there aren't any vending machines and only one person at that station.

Charlie will worsen because:
*People that are not familiar with the technology take longer to purchase

JS