• Training to become an Engineer

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Engineer James

Well, I am having to soon make a career decision. I really, wanna still be an engineer. But, how long is the training? and does CSX still offer their Summer Internship/Co-op program? I looked on CSXT.com, and got lost. If anyone could help me it would be apprecaited. The school, here in Michigan, AMDG, has a branch close by in Plymouth. So the commute would not be a long one.

by GOLDEN-ARM

James, you have been here long enough to know. Go to the employment discussion forum, and READ what has been going on there, for the last few years. All of the questions you have, are already answered, in that spot. (The first thing an engineer has to be able to do, is make quick, accurate decisions, with little or no supervision.........) You might show your skills, and prowess, by seeking these answers by yourself........ :(
Good luck, and don't let ANYONE know you are a "foamer", while applying for jobs. Regards :wink:

by slchub

Sometimes I wish I hadn't stepped up and remained a Conductor. Although I know in the long run I'll be glad to have my date I think the Conductor still has it easier than the Hogger.

by route_rock

Yeah slc they can still sleep on the trip :wink: :wink: Just kidding guys play nice.
Over here its better to be set up as you get a 7-3 extra board 7 on 3 off is nice to have, you can TVA a job ( set yourself up on a job temporarily while the regular guy is off) and you can roll back to the ground as long as there is a junior guy under you.But yeah I can see where your coming from but I bet you like it when its raining ( I know I do )

by thebigc

GOLDEN-ARM wrote: (The first thing an engineer has to be able to do, is make quick, accurate decisions, with little or no supervision.........)
Yeah, they've got quite a vartiety at Dunkin Donuts these days... :P

by blippo

There are a couple of engineers that flowed back to conductor jobs here. They can hold better jobs as conductor than engineer

by UPRR engineer

thebigc wrote:
GOLDEN-ARM wrote: (The first thing an engineer has to be able to do, is make quick, accurate decisions, with little or no supervision.........)
Yeah, they've got quite a variety at Dunkin Donuts these days... :P
Some of your posts around here lately C man arent really those of a Mod here at RR.net are they buddy?

by roadster

James, just the short of it RE: CSX, CSX requires you the attend and pass the AMDG school and hire on as a conductor, from that point you will work your seniority for assignments. Engineer trainees are called up from the conductor ranks as needed by seniority. As of Jan 1, 2007, Federal Law is going to require a person to work 5 years as a conductor before being elledgible for engineer training. Currently in my home terminal, CSX is rushing groups of conductors with 3-5 years on the job to engineer training before the 2007 cutoff date. Currently to my knowledge CSX does not hire engineers from outside due to seniority issues. Good Luck

by Lmcgolf

Roadster,

Do you know where I can get more information regarding that FRA regulation? I am about 2 and 1/2 weeks away from starting conductor training.

Would I have to be marked up before Jan 1 or would my hire date get me by?

by UPRR engineer

I havent heard of the Jan 2007 cut off date yet here, but im pretty sure it wont be your hire date, if your not a hog by 2007 then, you'll have to do your five years in trainservice there buddy. And if there rushing guys into engineservice right now, your wait may even be longer then five before they need anymore. Thats why i tell everyone wanting to hire on, do it quick, everyone you let get around you, the farther down on the roster you go.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by slchub

Can anyone cite the CFR's or FRA that state such a requirement in regards to having been on the ground for 5 years before stepping up? I've heard it floating about since 2003.
Last edited by slchub on Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by thebigc

UPRR engineer wrote:
Some of your posts around here lately C man arent really those of a Mod here at RR.net are they buddy?
Jeez UPRR, I thought that was some good Conductor-vs-Engineeer humor. I was a Conductor long before I was a moderator, ya know.

by UPRR engineer

Sorry buddy, came accoss more like the BLE/UTU Canada RR coffee thing, "ill take another poke at GA."

I remember when ya got your Mod job, me and David were throwing punchs. LOL :wink:

by GOLDEN-ARM

UPRR engineer wrote:
thebigc wrote:
Yeah, they've got quite a variety at Dunkin Donuts these days... :P
Yeah, donuts, or holes. Cruellers, or cinnimon rolls. Decisions, decisions............

Throwin punches??? Gotta have a lot thicker skin than that, to survive the Job, and the Forums........... :P

by GOLDEN-ARM

slchub wrote:Can anyone cite the CFR's or FRA that state such a requirement in regards to having been on the ground for 5 years before stepping up? I've heard it floating about since 2003.
Sclub, there has been talk, and a desire from the BLE, to have an employee have some experience, before "stepping-up". Nothing worse, than some guy with 4 weeks on the job, being tapped for engine service. :( There is lots of talk, but no final terms worked out yet. On another note, those guys hired after '85 are in a position, where if called to go into engine service, they must go. If they fail the school, they get a second try. If they fail that, they are terminated. No trainmens date, to fall back on. The guys from 85 to around the early 90's are generally "safe" as there are enough younger men, to be force assigned to school, allowing seniority to work it's course. Some places, though, a guy might not be so "lucky".......... :(