• Train symbol needed

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by O-6-O

I grew up in Oneida DOB 4/18/55 150 yards from the West Shore on the
south side of town. The O&W ran behind our house about 100 yards.
The Central ran freight 3 days a week Tue, Thurs, and Sat to Vernon
and back. I believe it ran out of Dewitt to Canastota on the main then
backed down to the Shore on a switch back at MP 269 to continue
east to Wampsville,Oneida,thru OC to Sherrill and Vernon. I never
did know the symbol of this job and don't know where to find this
info. Any help out there? Thanks (RS3's forever)

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

by urrengr2003

Train Symbol in 1969 was TS-1. This a Traveling Switcher Assignment that ran out of Utica with a Mohawk Crew five days a week. (TS Jobs being advertised jobs that could leave & enter Yard Limits by Agreement without penalty during an eight hour period) Three days it went west & the other two it went east to Pallatine Bridge to turn after servicing Junket Foods. The customers on the west trip included 84 Lumber and Agway. An interesting operation note: we shoved the train east on The Connection & theWest Shore from Oneida. When returning to Utica the entire train was 'dropped by' up the Connection Track in an effort to get the locomotive to the east end of the train to return to Utica. This saved a long division run-around on the Control Siding @ Oneida.

This information is factual for 1969-1971 when I was a RFE on the Mohawk Division. Can't account for other operation methods prior to or after this time period.