• Train 009 Breakdown - 5/18

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ColonyLine

Train 009 with power T1027 crapped out at Campello in Brockton at 12:35pm. Something not taking the power is the issue. Dispatcher gave the engineer a phone# to call. Apparently the phone call fixed the problem and 009 was out of Campello at 12:45pm southbound. They cutout some kind of brake.
Last edited by ColonyLine on Fri May 19, 2006 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Robert Paniagua

Must have been a hot box detector saying a defect on the train, maybe?

by ColonyLine

Don't know of any detectors over here. I would hear it. Think that is an Amtrak thing. Nearest one I know of is in Sharon on the Corridor.

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah I know those already, on the main lines, there's another one at CP24-Ashland on the Worcester Route.

Maybe this was detected via some silent alarm that went to Central Control and must have given the train a stop code.

by ColonyLine

Ok, that could be. Over here I am always hearing alarms going of in the cab.

by Robert Paniagua

I see, that's what may have triggered the delay of that 009 trip.

by CSX Conductor

There are only to Hot Box detectors that MBCR trains go over: Hawk at MP 207.8 (just west of Sharon) on the NEC and the North Grafton Hotx Box/Dragger @ MP 37.6 on the Worcester line on CSXT.

There are no "alarms sent to Central Control". The alarms you may hear when on a control car at the rear of a train would be either the alertor or the cab signal.

Usually if the enginner is instructed to talk to the mechanical desk via cell phone it is something locomotive related, such as traction motor problems, etc. These type of alarms are bells in the cab, which passengers would not here in the coaches.(although they are the same type of bell as used by the trainmen).

by Robert Paniagua

There are only to Hot Box detectors that MBCR trains go over: Hawk at MP 207.8 (just west of Sharon) on the NEC and the North Grafton Hotx Box/Dragger @ MP 37.6 on the Worcester line on CSXT.

Oh, and don't forget Ashland (CP 24.2). It says "CONRAIL....Ashland, Massachusetts TRACK 1/2, NO DEFECTS...OVER"

I listen to that one the most when railfanning at Ashland from the high school fields in my scanner.