• Tractor-trailer wedged under bridge at R5 Radnor station

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Lucius Kwok

A tractor trailer has wedged itself under the Radnor train station bridge. The station itself is closed off and I didn't see the regularly scheduled train come through.

by aem7

What was this truck driver thinking? He went under that bridge so fast that he bent the large yellow warning steel beam that is positioned in front of the bridge itself. The entire rig is lodged under the bridge. The trailer is a total loss, and the cab was heavily damaged.

by Nasadowsk

Sounds like he's been doing too many uppers again...

What always ammuses me is how the heck trucks get stuck on parkways in NY, despite TONS of signs warning not to go there (low bridges), and even height detectors. Yet, it never fails - at least a few a week.

You'd think 'No trucks allowed - low bridges' would be a hint, but....

by drewh

Doesn't help those who can't read or don't speak english.

by chuchubob

I worked in Radnor from 1972 to 1987. A truck getting stuck under the railroad bridge seemed to be at least an annual event.

Bob

by JLo

Once a week, a truck gets stuck somewhere along Rt 21 under the NEC in Newark. In fact, part of the outside wall of Penn Station is damaged where it crosses over Edison Place, which has a clearance of less than 1o feet. Ignoring the large signs and flashing lights, any truck driver, English speaking or otherwise, should pretty much be able to guess they aren't going to make it under long before they get to the underpass. Yet, it happens time and time again.

by 7 Train

He should be smart enough to know his vehicle's height. Most trailers have a maximum height of 13' 6''.

by Lucius Kwok

I've seen two other trucks get stuck recently, one under the Strafford R5 station, and another sheared the entire roof off a U-haul under the P&W Strafford branch (now the Radnor Trail). I figure some inexperienced drivers would do this, but an 18 wheeler? Like aem7 said, this one was rather spectacular.

by R3 Rider

How long were things shut down for? From what I understand, everything was running smoothly in time for the afternoon rush, but the morning traffic reports said that the R5 was shut down from Bryn Mawr to Thorndale due to the accident.

by jfrey40535

Happens on the 15 at Richmond & Somerset all the time, although now its been better with the new signs, but a few years ago when there were no wires, trucks got STUCK all the time. Some guys had to let the air out of their tires to get out. Some lost the entire tops of their trailers.

by One of One-Sixty

drewh wrote:Doesn't help those who can't read or don't speak english.
Umm last time I check, in order to drive any commerical vehicle especially tractor trailers reading and understanding English is a requirement.

by Lucius Kwok

The wreck was there when I checked at around 10 AM, but it looks like they cleared it by 3 PM. The trains seemed to be running normally after 10:30 AM.