• Tracks near Suffolk Downs

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by AznSumtinSumtin

I have just remembered seeing what looks like trolley tracks in what looks like a parking lot near Suffolk Downs Station when I was little. I have found one photo of the tracks. Can anyone find any information about tracks like if it was a former trolley route? And are the tracks still there?

by CJ

Yep, there still there (though i cant remember, i think part of em are covered up), drove over em 2 days ago, killed my shocks (there fine, but bumpy!)

Also i noticed, over the eastern ave bridge (chelsea->east boston) there are some trolley tracks as well, uncovered (always hit em, kills me!)

by CSX Conductor

CJ wrote:Also i noticed, over the eastern ave bridge (chelsea->east boston) there are some trolley tracks as well, uncovered (always hit em, kills me!)
If you are referring to the ones just off of Rte. 1A on the street that goes over to Rte16 on a really old bridge, those are not trolley tracks. Those tracks come off the Eastern Route under the Rte.1A bridge and lead south to the oil tanks opposite Suffolk Downs. However, GUILFORD hasn't used those in many years. Perhaps someone in the Guilford thread might know the last time they were used, in case you're curios.

by CJ

Yes I know of those tracks, by the power distrobution thing, im talking about the bridge right off 1A that goes into chelsea, by the MWRA(i think?) sewage pumping plant..

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1+eastern ... &t=k&hl=en

Not the best, but that bridge, the green one, (not the drawbridge on meridian st)...

2 days ago coming over that bridge I hit the track, went from aspault (sp?) to like a cobblestone w/ a track in it, just one bar, im assuming it is for rail, due to the fact that there is alot of track nearby!

Tho yes, the other tracks are elusive, those are strange, go all through East Boston, then meets up with the CR tracks from chelsea, which at the beginning, they are cut off now, due to the rehab project there doing by airport station w/ the ymca and park, and the bike trail that was further up!

by CSX Conductor

Sorry CJ, I overlooked the mentioning of Eastern Ave. bridge in your first post. :(

by StevieC48

There is a switch still visiable by Suffolk Downs. It was the switch that was used for the BERy to go in the yard going straight or to The Track tracks going to your left.