• Track above portland

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CN9634

Holy moly, I just followed the GRS main above portland and WOW, is that track bad. Does GRS do any track maintainence up thru that way?

by wolfmom69

Which track?? They diverge at MP 185(Royal Jct.) off Greely Rd. in Cumberland. Tracks to the right go to Brunswick and ARE in rough shape(10 mph is tops!!),but 2-3 way freights a week ,maximum. Mainline up through Lewiston is 25 mph,and GRS MOW guys DO spend time working on it,including ballast/tie replacement presently going on. Bud :(

by Trains

I have visited Maine for many years and I have noticed the track conditions in the Winthrop area have improved. Last year they did extensive tie replacement and this year it seemed that they were checking to make sure the tracks were in guage. It does seem that the trains go faster than 25 mph but then again it is difficult to judge speed for such a large moving object. This line is very curvey so I wouldn't be surprised if speed was restricted for much of the route.

If they ever do bring Amtrak service along that line how fast would it go? I know it wouldn't go nearly as fast as it does now along the Boston-Portland route.

by cpf354

If they ever do bring Amtrak service along that line how fast would it go? I know it wouldn't go nearly as fast as it does now along the Boston-Portland route.[/quote]

That's a mighty BIG if. Right now the only plan for extending regular passenger service north of Portland is to rehab a long dis-used freight spur in Portland towards the waterfront area, build a brand new bridge over to the St Lawrence and Atlantic at East Deering, and use it to go to Auburn, by-passing Guilford. There is also hope of running trains to Rockland via Yarmouth Jct on the SLR to the current ST Brunswick Branch( a connecting track would have to be built). The project is slated for completion around 2007, I think.
If passenger service resumed on the old MEC, I'd guess the mainline would get an overhaul similar to the one the Freight Main got south of Portland, meaning 60 mph maximum, if not more.