• Tower 1 tower

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

hey everyone, i have a question about the former Tower 1 tower at South Station. How long did this tower stand, when did it close and when did they tear it down?
  by TomNelligan

Boston Terminal Tower 1 opened with the rest of South Station on New Year's Day 1899. It was closed and demolished during the major reconstruction of the station in the mid-1980s (when the headhouse was rebuilt and the high level platforms were installed), and replaced at that time by a prefab trailer on stilts on the west side of the tracks.
  by elecuyer

I was in High School at the time, and for some random reason happened to be spending the day in Boston. I was there as the backhoes took it down - observing from a safe distance the end of the nearest platform. No one was there taking pictures - and I didn't have a camera.

I cried on the way home.

It was later reported that the control boards, etc. were donated to Edaville. What happened to them (given their closing, auction, and reopening) I do not know.

-Ed Lecuyer