• Toronto CLRV at Riverside Yard Photo

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by thegirl48

What type of car is on the far right in this photo?

http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?32710

I looked it's number up on the NETransit inventory, and it looks like it's supposed to be a trackless trolley, but, well, it's on tracks, isn't it?! It's just something that I've never seen in any other photos and I've been curious it about for a while. Thanks :)

by gt7348b

If you are talking about the red car on the far right, it is a Canadian LRV (CLRV) that is painted in Toronto colors. You can even see the Canadian flag and the UTDC sticker on it. (I think UTDC stands for something like "Urban Transit Development Corporation") You can see some pictures here:

http://www.lightrail.com/photos/toronto/toronto.htm

The vehicle on the far right looks like the back end of a Gremlin. :-D

by Robert Paniagua

(I think UTDC stands for something like "Urban Transit Development Corporation")

You got the other three acronyms right, but it's "Urban Transportation Development Corporation"

by octr202

The CLRV was evaluated by the T as a possible alternative to the Type 7 trolleys from Kinki-Shayru, which they of course ended up buying.

*Edited thanks to watchful eye of Mr. typesix.
Last edited by octr202 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by typesix

You mean T7. As the LRVs were having so many problems, the T wanted to evaluate other cars. CLRV was meant to be Canada's PCC replacement and it was hoped that other agencies besides TTC would purchase them.

by octr202

typesix wrote:You mean T7. As the LRVs were having so many problems, the T wanted to evaluate other cars. CLRV was meant to be Canada's PCC replacement and it was hoped that other agencies besides TTC would purchase them.
DOH! Yes, of course I meant T7. Typing too much before coffee again...

by -Garrett

Could the MBTA purchase some of these to replace PCC's on Mattapan-Ashmont? Or are these also too heavy to work on the overpasses?

by CSX Conductor

I couldn't help but to notice all the cars had "A Watertown" on the roll-signs. :-D

by RailBus63

-Garrett wrote:Could the MBTA purchase some of these to replace PCC's on Mattapan-Ashmont? Or are these also too heavy to work on the overpasses?
The CLRV is no longer being manufactured. I believe they are also fairly heavy.

Jim

by Robert Paniagua

Yes, a CLRV/ALRV is too heavy for the Mattapan-Ashmont Shuttle.

by typesix

CLRV weighs 50,000 lbs and the PCC weighs 40,000 lbs.