• Top priorities for new MBTA GM

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by bierhere

When the new GM starts in July, I'm curious what people think are the top priorities.

Here are mine:

Short term:
1. System reliability - Make the existing system run more better. I've experienced in my opinion too many breakdowns on the Red line and too many missing coaches on the commuter rail.

Long term:
1. Finances: Resolve issues with the existing debt so that the system can expand and can maintain itself in a state of good repair.

by AEM7AC920

I think you can tack on the Bredas to that list also...

by Charliemta

Top priority:

Cancel Silverline Phase III, and replace the Silverline to Dudley Square with a light rail branch of the Green Line via Boylston Station.

by efin98

and for some ACTUAL suggestions and not crap pulled out of a hat or stuff that is known to never having a chance in hell of happening....

1. funding for replacement of all 1200s and 1300s on the Orange Line
2. funding for replacement of all 1500s and 1600s on the Red Line
3. funding for upgrade of Lynn and Albany Street bus garages
4. funding for replacement of Fellsway bus garage
5. funding for additional order of diesel buses for increased North Shore and South Shore service
6. funding for replacement of Boeing LRVs and Type 7s
7. funding for extention of Blue Line beyond Wonderland
8. funding for replacement of GP40PHs and 1970s era F40PHs
9. funding for the renovation of Maverick, State, Government Center, and Orient Heights to ADA standards

by Charliemta

efin98,

While I agree that many of your ideas are more immediately implementable, it is important for the MBTA and politicians to be kept under public pressure on larger, long range issues. One huge issue is the one I mentioned, which is the need to cancel spending on the proposed Silverline III tunnel. The huge amount of money which would be wasted on that useless project could instead be spent on the projects you mentioned, and/or other high priority transit improvements.

by efin98

Charliemta wrote:efin98,

While I agree that many of your ideas are more immediately implementable, it is important for the MBTA and politicians to be kept under public pressure on larger, long range issues. One huge issue is the one I mentioned, which is the need to cancel spending on the proposed Silverline III tunnel. The huge amount of money which would be wasted on that useless project could instead be spent on the projects you mentioned, and/or other high priority transit improvements.
There's a point where "pressure" is useless. There's a point where "pressure" becomes "harassment" and your insistance is close ot that point. Simply can't get any more blood from that stone. I know you hate the project but give it up- it's going to happen regardless of how much you claim it's screwing over the people of Massachusetts and how much it is nothing like the old Washington Street El. It's over.

by ckb

Its not `over' until the bulldozers and tunnel hogs start moving dirt. Or at least until the funding has actually been secured. Neither has happened yet. A transition to a new GM is a perfect time and a perfect excuse to reassess the feasibility and efficiency of this major project.

In turn, I think a lot of Ed's priority suggestions are essential, with the possible exception of the funding for additional North and South Shore busses. That may be because I don't really understand what the demand and the potential improvements are.

I would add to the list, as an even more short-term priority, the proper guidance of the full implementation of the automated fare collection systems and the transition of the token booth attendents to customer service agents.

by CRail

Efin:
Im not sure all of your priorities are too important.

Why replace the 15/1600's. I think the red line has a while to go before they start getting new equipment, the 1800's are still fairly new (for a train car).

Why get rid of the boeings? or the type 7's which are currently being modified?

The commuter rail doesnt really need new engines, they just need better maintenance, instead of fixing a problem right away, they wait untill the problem is bad enough that the equipment has to be pulled out of service. And that is for ALL equipment, not just engines.

suggestions 1 3 4 5 7 and 9 sound ok though :-)

by octr202

The equipment replacements are pretty simple. The 015/01600's are about 35 years old. The Boeings are approaching 30 (and were lemons to begin with). The Type 7's should last a while, but remember the first 100 are close to 20 years old. And the screamers (F40PHs) are 25-27 years old. Stuff doesn't last forever (with apologies to ST214), and at some point even good equipment isn't worth the headaches of keeping it in service. Parts can become impossible to obtain, structural components could fail, and, especially with cars that riders occupy, riders won't want to put up with old equipment.

I lived in Philly as a kid, and remember riding the Brill Bullets on SEPTA's Norristown line. They were about 60 years old when retired, mostly because the bodies and frames were starting to disintegrate. We railfans loved it...I'll never forget my 70 mph plus rides on them. But riders hated them -- dirty, noisy, cold in the winter, hot in the summer. The same thing will happen on the Red Line (if it hasn't already)...ask any average rider if they'd rather have a 01800 or an older car for a long ride.

by Robert Paniagua

The same thing will happen on the Red Line (if it hasn't already)...ask any average rider if they'd rather have a 01800 or an older car for a long ride.

You're right, especially with those Silverbirds, I agree with Ed, since those and the Orange Hawkers would have to go. However, the 01700 UTDC's (1987/89) are still fine, since they have a lot of life left, and some of the Type 7 cars have been rebuilt to trainline with the T8s.

by CRail

I will be very sad to see the silverbirds go :( although it is comming.

I just dont think its a big deal as of now. They still run pretty well and aside from the noise they make (which is standard for a subway, just loud compared to the 01800's) i dont see any uncomforts

To me, for now, the red line seems pretty sufficient, its the blue and orange line that need the new stuff. The orange line cars are terrible to ride in just because they are old and the climate is often uncomfortable (heat, odors...). The blue line is even more of a discrace and you dont have to look at a car too thoroughly to see that.

Efin and octr,

The priorities you[efin] wrote were good, and i would say accurate, but i just think there are bigger things that preceed them, and i am only putting out my opinion, im not saying your wrong in any way.

by octr202

CRail wrote:I will be very sad to see the silverbirds go :( although it is comming.

I just dont think its a big deal as of now. They still run pretty well and aside from the noise they make (which is standard for a subway, just loud compared to the 01800's) i dont see any uncomforts

To me, for now, the red line seems pretty sufficient, its the blue and orange line that need the new stuff. The orange line cars are terrible to ride in just because they are old and the climate is often uncomfortable (heat, odors...). The blue line is even more of a discrace and you dont have to look at a car too thoroughly to see that.

Efin and octr,

The priorities you[efin] wrote were good, and i would say accurate, but i just think there are bigger things that preceed them, and i am only putting out my opinion, im not saying your wrong in any way.
Sorry if that sounded like a rant on my part. I can just get longwinded in responses. :wink:

The last thing to keep in mind, though, is that a lot of these things are already programmed into capital spending programs, and are much larger projects than just one General Manager. After all, how many general Managers ago were the Breda's first ordered?

Its all a political process, too. To quote my favorite political themed NBC show..."This [is] about politics. Facts won't help."

by efin98

CRail wrote:Efin and octr,

There's a point where people here need to stop looking at things through their wish list fanaticism and start looking at things the way the average rider sees- you know, the riders who actually have to pay for all the projects demanded by folks here.

Do a cost comparison for the projects I proposed to the ones others here have ranted about and you see that 1. the ones I proposed are either already in the works or a close to it 2. they are already funded in some form or another 3. they are cheap projects that required to run an efficiant transit system. Expanded transit lines and new rail lines are all well and good but they have to take a back seat to projects required to keep the system running as is first.

by ST214

Ok, i'm crawling out of the hole i've been hiding in for the last few days.

Efin, some of your points are good and true, but everytime you speak, you seem hell-bent on retiring the screamers. Part of # 8 is true, the GP40MC's do need to be replaced, but there is nothing wrong with the screamers. The FP10's ran until they were FIFTY, and 2 of them STILL run down on Metro-North.

I've ridden on a LOT of MBTA trains, some of which have had mechanical issues, and i have NEVER had a problem with a train pulled by a screamer. I have been on 3 trains that had GP40MC's that had problems, and a few with F40PH-2C's with problems(all since returning from rebuild), and one with a F40PHM-2C that had issues too(also since returning from rebuild), but yet the screamers keep running. Yes, they have issues sometimes(like my beloved 1012 had the other day :( :( :( ) but besides the rare problem with them, they work fine, and are super at pulling and acceleration :-D

So Efin, please come up with some facts to support your decision, or leave the screamers alone. What did they ever do to you???

Off the soapbox now. Might retrench back into the hole.

by octr202

ST214 wrote:Ok, i'm crawling out of the hole i've been hiding in for the last few days.

Efin, some of your points are good and true, but everytime you speak, you seem hell-bent on retiring the screamers. Part of # 8 is true, the GP40MC's do need to be replaced, but there is nothing wrong with the screamers. The FP10's ran until they were FIFTY, and 2 of them STILL run down on Metro-North.

I've ridden on a LOT of MBTA trains, some of which have had mechanical issues, and i have NEVER had a problem with a train pulled by a screamer. I have been on 3 trains that had GP40MC's that had problems, and a few with F40PH-2C's with problems(all since returning from rebuild), and one with a F40PHM-2C that had issues too(also since returning from rebuild), but yet the screamers keep running. Yes, they have issues sometimes(like my beloved 1012 had the other day :( :( :( ) but besides the rare problem with them, they work fine, and are super at pulling and acceleration :-D

So Efin, please come up with some facts to support your decision, or leave the screamers alone. What did they ever do to you???

Off the soapbox now. Might retrench back into the hole.
Sorry to contribute to any of the bad news for you of late. eventually, though, old age will catch up to the screamers too. I think what worries me more is where do the replacements come from? Can GP40's be rebuilt into passenger engines forever? Can a manufacturer produce a rebuilt Geep that's as good as the F40's straight from EMD? Metra is having initial trouble with their MP36's, and the PL42AC's on NJT are still too early to tell. The long term success of those two might influence what replaces the screamers...or if they just keep getting rebuilt.

A scary thought, though, for the political side. The PL42's are $4.4 million a piece! Makes me wonder when Amtrak's surplus GE's will start looking more attractive to commuter railroads...but I digress...