• Tomah, WI

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by NHN503

Sorry if this is common knowledge to you Midwestern guys!

My grandparents live in Tomah, WI and I used to go out there every summer when I was younger. I used to spend all day at the Amtrak station watching the main line action and the action at the former shops. However I have not been there in about 10 years.

I noticed on Google maps that the shops are gone. I thought I could remember at least one of the shop buildings still being up in 1997 as I can remember the self propelled crane putting around the trackage. I noticed now that from the arial photos that there appears to be no more of the yard and shop trackage and the buildings are gone. It also appears that the eastern yard on the east side of Gasoline Alley has been cleaned up. I can remember when there were tons of gons and flats stored there.

Am I seeing things right? When did it all happen? Now I have to find all that video I took years ago!

by Hawko

Ian, The CP closed up the last of the Tomah shops and held an auction in 2,000. The shut down was a gradual process that happened over several years. The welded rail facility that was in Tomah is now in Wabasha. The closest crew change point to Tomah is Portage.

by NHN503

Thanks!