• Tokens

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC 1116

Speaking of the Tokens and the new Charlie card's. I was going through South Station on the Red line last week heading back up to New Hampshire and saw that the token machines are all covered up completley with cardboard or it looks like they may be in a box labeled "FRAGILE" im not sure if it's the old machines or the new ones for the Charlie Cards.. Any insight anyone?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

will the tokens be worth monye some day in like 40 years when every thing is charlie card?

by Reddy Rocker

For some reason, and maybe I'm wrong, the thing about allowing tokens to be transferred into Charlie Cards is a grace period. I'm guessing by the time all stations and GL trolleys are converted tokens will be obsolete and unusable. Like I said, I could be wrong. In fact, I hope I'm wrong.

by octr202

Reddy Rocker wrote:For some reason, and maybe I'm wrong, the thing about allowing tokens to be transferred into Charlie Cards is a grace period. I'm guessing by the time all stations and GL trolleys are converted tokens will be obsolete and unusable. Like I said, I could be wrong. In fact, I hope I'm wrong.
Most likely. The TVMs accept tokens, so there probably isn't that much of a need to make it a short transition period, but I'm sure at somepoint they'll stop taking them.

Like everything, they'll be a collectors item someday soon.

by Robert Paniagua

Like everything, they'll be a collectors item someday soon.

Yep, just like the NYCTA's tokens, retired 2002

by 7 Train

Robert Paniagua wrote:Like everything, they'll be a collectors item someday soon.

Actually, NYCT tokens have no longer been accepted as of May 4, 2003 (date of the $2 cash fare increase).

by danib62

7 Train wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:Like everything, they'll be a collectors item someday soon.

Actually, NYCT tokens have no longer been accepted as of May 4, 2003 (date of the $2 cash fare increase).
I think Robert was reffering to the fact that you couldn't buy them anymore after 2002.

by Robert Paniagua

I think Robert was reffering to the fact that you couldn't buy them anymore after 2002.

You're right, I remember they wouldn't sell anyone tokens after 12/02 IIRC.

by GP40MC 1116

I guess we should all stock up on T Tokens, too bad their isn't a deal to save money and buy a roll of them or something, i don't think thier is?

by octr202

GP40MC 1116 wrote:I guess we should all stock up on T Tokens, too bad their isn't a deal to save money and buy a roll of them or something, i don't think thier is?
Nope. This ain't Philly -- token here are just the fare mechanism, not a discount system. :wink:

by Ron Newman

Years ago, the T had a deal where you could buy 10 tokens at a time, and get a free ride when doing so. That went away a few fare increases ago.

by 7 Train

Robert Paniagua wrote:I think Robert was reffering to the fact that you couldn't buy them anymore after 2002.

You're right, I remember they wouldn't sell anyone tokens after 12/02 IIRC.
Wrong, token sales were restricted (two per customer) on March 30, 2003 and completely phased out on April 14, 2003.

by GP40MC 1116

When do they plan fhe Charlie Card System to be fully in effect?

by octr202

GP40MC 1116 wrote:When do they plan fhe Charlie Card System to be fully in effect?
According to current plans, about early 2007 for 100% of subway station and farebox conversions. The Charlie Card itself is still described as a "sometime in 2007" matter.

Commuter rail I'm sure someday will see changes, but that could very well be a while. When it comes to AFC on buses and subways, the T has a lot of models to follow around the country. If they want to put that same AFC system (i.e., use the same cards) on commuter trains, well, that will be uncharted territory for North America.

by Ron Newman

In NYC, tokens hung on as partial payment for bus fares until the end of 2003, and for a couple months after that on the Roosevelt Island Tramway.

A full decade went by from the first introduction of Metrocard to the final use of an NYCTA token for fare payment.