• Token machines / escalators

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jumbotusk

Does anyone notice that the token machines at most stations are constantly "temporarily out of order". The one's at Park Street have been out of service for a while.

How is this any way to run a transit system? I mean honestly, would this ever fly in NYC or DC. Why does the T think it can provide lower service?

If they were smart, they would realize that the machines reduce costs of having long lines waiting for a person to sell them a token.

Don't tell me they arent going to invest in fixing them because charlie machines are coming soon. They aren't.

Also, why are there so many stations with only 1 way escalators? Government Center Blue up to Green line, but not vice versa. Park Street greenline inbound to street, but not vice versa. Etc.... who plans these things?

by octr202

Um, they're old and they aren't going to spend money fixing machines that are going to be junked in a few months. I don't know what you mean by "the charlie machines aren't coming," because they are. Right now my office T stop is surrounded by T and S&B trucks working on the conversion.

I would think it would be extremely stupid to spend good money fixing machines which are about to be reduced to scrap metal. Yes, the token buying experience isn't always fun right now, but, its changing, whether you choose to believe it or not.

by Robert Paniagua

As for the conversion at Parkl Street to Charlie method, when's that happening? Spetember?

And I think they should put in another elevator at Park Street which comes up to Boston Common (where I usually get on in the afternoon).

I hope they also add an elevator at GCT too.

by SbooX

Speaking of token machines, anyone else see this in the Globe? http://www.boston.com/news/local/articl ... eavy_load/
You're trying to get to work and the car won't start. You have no cash, and you have to take the T.

Off to the ATM, which spits out some $20 bills. Then on to the T, where they've installed automated fare collection.

You just need $2.50 (for now) for a round trip on the subway. You press the right buttons, feed a $20 bill into the machine and...plunkplunkplunkplunkplunkplunk...you're burdened with $17 in dollar coins.

It takes two hand scoops to get them all out. You put them in your pocket. The weight throws off your internal gyroscope and you walk around like a peg-legged pirate. People ask if you're recovering from surgery. You have to pay for lunch with coins. Friends whisper. If you were thrown into the Charles, you'd sink.

Well, here's the buried news. Machines that can break a $20 into $5 bills are about to be placed around the system, putting an end to the dreaded dollar-coin-heavy-pocket syndrome.

T officials say the machines will accept $10 and $20 bills and dispense $5.

Airport, Braintree, Quincy, Quincy Adams, Alewife, and Wellington are the first stations to get them. The T will test the machines for two weeks and installation is expected around May 22. Airport will receive the first machine.

After this first wave, MBTA General Manager Daniel A. Grabauskas said the remaining machines will be added to stations that are not located near vendors or banks that can break a $20.
Are they talking about Charlie machines, or token machines? If we're talking about token machines, then I am just stunned by the absurd waste of money. If its Charlie machines, why couldn't they all have done this from the start?

by AznSumtinSumtin

They're talking about Charlie Machines. The stations mentioned that will get these new machines are stations that have or will soon get new faregates and all that stuff.

by SbooX

Good (and obvious) point! I don't understand why this wasn't done right from the begining though, as this has been a common complaint for quite a while now.

by danib62

Why don't they just have a change limit at the machines of $6 like they have in NYC? Force people to put money on the card!

by sabourinj

I'm really suprised they don't have a change limit like NYC. When you can use a credit/debit card or cash there's no reason you can't come up with something small enough to not need a ton of change. I'd guess the reason that all of the new AFC machines don't make change in bills is the size of the unit that does it and the expense of maintaining it. Coin management is much easier than bills. If the machines stocked bills you'd basically be turning it into an ATM.

As for which machines, the old vending machines don't take $20 bills so it has to be the newer ones or a seperate machine as mentioned above.

JS

by danib62

I don't think the the new machines will be dispensing bills. From the article it seemed to me that they are installing seperate machines with just one function: To turn twenties and tens into fives. Seems like a waste to me.

by CSX Conductor

Plain and simple.......... this is the oldest subway in America.

As for the token machines being faster, I tend to disagree. Many times the machines are too picky about wrinkled dollar bills, whereas a collector will take any bill. :-)

by Diverging Route

CSX Conductor wrote:Plain and simple.......... this is the oldest subway in America.

As for the token machines being faster, I tend to disagree. Many times the machines are too picky about wrinkled dollar bills, whereas a collector will take any bill. :-)
Sure, from Park to Tremont on the Green Line it's the "oldest subway in America." But the majority of the system, including most of the Orange Line, the Red Line north of Harvard and the Braintree segment, were built in the 70s and 80s. I cringe when I hear the MBTA use this as an excuse.