• Today's front page Metro

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Porter Sq

Did anybody read this? Is this what we should expect riding the T. The MBTA police are a joke. What is it going to take for them to finally patrol the trains and not sit around in there crusiers pulling over speeders. Crap like this is what is going to cause vigliantie justice on the T someday. Link Below for article.

http://parex.metro.st/ftp/20050621_1000005.pdf

by Robert Paniagua

I actually read that article earlier today while at work, and I was also appalled by then. Had I been in that lady's place, I would have been able to take them out in a flash with my arms, and I would have pulled out my cellphone to call police or I could also pull the cab access door unlock and enter the cab as a"safe zone", orto exit the train. Luckily while riding the NYCTA, I've never had that happen downthere, but for safety reasons, I ride in the head-end car there, since some of the cars have no cabs.

Here, I have my safe zones in the tran, but with my size and strenght, I could take care of them easily... :wink:

by StevieC48

Right Robert I would of pulled the emergency so the train would of stopped forcing the crew to get off their ass and see what is happening and kill time for the Police to arrive. But I dont know why the Boston Police didnt get notified by the T. Usually if the T has a problem they usually call Boston they have a problem but it seems they didnt bother. 95% of the time Boston arrives on scene before the T. THe T pd are so few and are streched. NOt defending them but if you have a scanner monitor them. 470.6625 And hear the stupidity

by Porter Sq

Rob don't forget she had a 5 year old in a stroller makes it kind of difficult. I would say about 75% of the time when I go to Boston I carry a knife. You never know what could happen. I am also surprised Badtransit isn't all over it. This is like a wet dream for them.

by StevieC48

Sorry but I know what staffing the T PD runs and the officers are spread too thin. You have ONE officer on the north side covering Orange, Blue Commuter Rail lines and Bus routes in the area. They are seriously UNDERSTAFFED to serve 76 citise and towns not to include out of state in RI. They need more officers. Yes they are visiable during the rush hours and thats because they have fixed posts at certian stations for visibility and the parking lot details. I hear the roll call every morning and afternoon around 07:45 and 15:45 When Im listening. I KNOW the otherside of the story and Im NOT jumping on the bandwagon.
Heres another factoid when I was on front line with the Boston Fire dept the T PD usualy got there when everything was clearing up. UNDERSTAFFING is the problem sorry to say.

by dudeursistershot

For liability reasons, it is quite obvious and understandable why the T employees could do nothing to help. Just think about it. I'm sure if they were in actual life-threatening danger, the employees would have helped, of course.

by efin98

StevieC48 wrote:Right Robert I would of pulled the emergency so the train would of stopped forcing the crew to get off their ass and see what is happening and kill time for the Police to arrive. But I dont know why the Boston Police didnt get notified by the T. Usually if the T has a problem they usually call Boston they have a problem but it seems they didnt bother. 95% of the time Boston arrives on scene before the T. THe T pd are so few and are streched. NOt defending them but if you have a scanner monitor them. 470.6625 And hear the stupidity
You are right, I see that all the time at Maverick and Wonderland with the Boston Police and State Police and the T Police.

They cover each others butts when they have to but they keep to themselves the rest of the time.

by FatNoah

The T has a heavy police presence....just not always where it's useful. This morning, I counted 5 T cops directing traffic at Charles Circle.

by Robert Paniagua

I saw this morning's Metro's front page, there was an article saying the the MBTA employee at the station at the time of the attack intervened, but I don't think so.

by dudeursistershot

Personally, I think this reeks of a lazy woman who just wants to live off government money by suing the T. She was probably very rude and way over the top to the girls for doing something as trivial as bumping into her kid's carriage. Then, the girls went waaay too far and started beating her up. The MBTA personnel there are prohibited from breaking up such disputes for liability reasons. Maybe, as the T says, one tried to stop the fight (though I doubt he did anything physical to stop it). Now, the lady wants to sue the T because she can't get the people who were actually responsible, and because she wants (more) government money to live off of.

Just my take on it...

by sjd0356

I agree I think she's stretching the truth a bit

by Derek Bernier

Robert Paniagua wrote:I saw this morning's Metro's front page, there was an article saying the the MBTA employee at the station at the time of the attack intervened, but I don't think so.
Not only that, my friend, but I also saw that story on Channel 5, and by was I stunned at TPD or what...

they took TOO LONG to respond, 13 minutes??

also, the T employee who was there ought to be ASHAMED of himself

for not intervining, most likely as one poster saidn here, for legal reasons

PLEASE

no wonder why the MBTA in some cases don't know how to do things right...

by StevieC48

Well aproximately 10-15 years ago MBTA INSPECTORS/INSTRUCTORS were deputized as State Police Special Officer known as Railway Police. The T PD unipn put up a stink and the Inspectors and Instructors lost the Police Powers. The powers granted the Inspectors and Instructors powers of arrest anywhere on T property. So when they lost the powers the T PD wasnt quick to put new officers on to replace 200+ Inspectors/Instructors who lost thei powers.