• Thomas the Tank Engine television series layout?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by steemtrayn

All we need now is a scale model of the prototype Thomas. like the one at Strasburg.

http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/about/thomas.htm

by Otto Vondrak

>shrug< It don't bother me none. I only offered that perhaps this thread might do better with the Large Scale model railroading topics...

...if it don't bother you, it don't bother me. But we haven't done much to answer the original poster's question, so let's try to get back to topic?

-otto-

by CPSD40-2

Bachmann makes an operating model of all of the popular characters on that show, and they all seem to run better than most of Bachmann's other engines!

by Engineer James

Yes, I have seen them in the Walthers Catalogue, or on the site. They look good. However, there should be a layout book ESPECIALLY for them, so incase if parents give their kids a set, they can make it look really neat. However, one disadvantage since I stopped watching is there has been many more Locomotives added on.... atleast 30-40.

by ApproachMedium

Engineer James wrote:Yes, I have seen them in the Walthers Catalogue, or on the site. They look good. However, there should be a layout book ESPECIALLY for them, so incase if parents give their kids a set, they can make it look really neat. However, one disadvantage since I stopped watching is there has been many more Locomotives added on.... atleast 30-40.
This is true, its almost as bad as pokemon! but alot less annoying and much more worthwhile of entertainment. I think when I watched it as a kid (first series in the late 80's) there was like, 8 engines.

And the reason the bachmann thomas trains work so well, their not made by bachmann, only imported by them from what I hear.

by Engineer James

I have heard that as well.....
  by Cosmo

I gotta say it!

"Naboomboo? There's no such place!"

That having been said,...untill I come up with a G guage Thomas (complete with Annie & Clarabell) to run on my garden RR then this discussion has no more or less place here, under garden rr's, than anywhere else!
As for scale modeling, I am guessing after seeing several versions of several episodes that more than one scale was used! There's no WAY some of the shots could've been anything smaller than O scale! IIRC, at least some part of the show utilized live steam R/C engines, which DOES back up Otto's putting it here by implication of a larger scale,....but not withstanding.
As for modeling Sodor,....I'll stick to my daughter's Brio stuff!
Cosmo
Supervisor of Really Usefull Engines
  by Cosmo

"Ahem!
Otto, since you are a really usefull moderator, I've decided you and your brother Gerf shall each have a new coat of paint,....and your worn parts mended! :-D
You shall also have your names painted on your sides properly!"
(The rest of Sir Toppham's speach was drowned out in a chorus of whistles, bells, and much gerfing!) :wink:

by hotbike

http://www.thomasandfriends.com/usa/tho ... _intro.htm

Found this while doing a google search for Tank. Then I remembered seeing this thread a few days ago.
You might find the sound annoying, but the intro shows an alleged "Map of Sodor".
  by Cosmo

well, I WAS going to post pics of "Donald and Douglas" with their nameplates changed to Otto and Gerf, butI am having NO luck with ANY graphics programmes right now.
I guess y'all will just have to leave it up to your respective imaginations.
  by Cosmo

SCOTTYCHAOS?
or is there a different Mr. Chaos?

by Engineer James

Nope, its scotty. if he can't, you are SOL.
  by Cosmo

... this is TRUE! Scotty can do ANYTHING! Just ask Capt. Kirk! LOL!
But I was talking about photoshopping the pics and posting them here.
I admit, If they were to be had reasonably, a Donald/Douglas set in G scale would be great! Especially in wintertime!
Of course,....assuming we ever see any SNOW up here.....!
Cosmo

by pennsy

Hi All,

Thanks to my Grand Daughter, I see Thomas and his Friends every weekend. So after careful study, and paying attention to the credits, my conclusion is that the show is essentially all done with computers. Very few models are used, and the big deal would be the voices of the narration and the "characters". The music is straight forward, and the computer enhancement is excellent. Amazing what those Brits can do.

I have noticed that the writers are going through "writer's cramp" and are having problems with new plots, themes, stories. They are now into snippets of previous shows to make up new ones. Do you think that they might need some new writers ? Also, how many stories did that Reverend actually write ? Sort of like the 007 series. All the new shows were NOT written by Ian Fleming. He died some time ago, as did that Reverend, most likely.