• THE ULTIMATE NYA INDUSTRIES MAP

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by rscott417

If you type in Norampac NYC in google the same building comes up as the one labeled. Maybe they use the siding with the crossover that enters the building. The stair builders siding looks a bit overgrown to be in use, my guess is the boxcar is spotted for the wedged building. If you take off the 45 degree view the picture changes and there's 2 boxcars along side the wedged building and the Bing map shows 4 boxcars in the same spot but there seems to be one boxcar in every image thats not near any building so maybe theres a transload customer in that lot also? And for the siding with the blue boxcar..I have no idea lol
  by DogBert

That lot at Grand Ave has at least 2 customers. If you're facing the lot from across grand ave, the building to the left has a loading dock and usually has 2-5 boxcars on the siding. This is an Asian restaurant supply company that receives boxcars full of rice, soy sauce, etc. Think of it as an Asian restaurant depo. Very solid customer that has been getting cars for years. The other side of the building is full of small delivery trucks that fan out to make drops at restaurants all over the city.

The boxcars on the track to the right are not for an on-site customer. This is a transload where they back box trucks right up to the boxcars and unload. I'm not sure what's in those cars but I believe it's more ethnic foods. There can be anywhere from 1 to 10 cars for them in there. I'm not sure if this is one customer or several small customers. It's mexican guys loading small delivery trucks (though that doesn't mean it's not another Asian restaurant supplier).

The entire site used to be the loadout for the city water tunnel 3 project, with the ore jennies run out to LI. Later SAB trucking was moving C&D trash out of there in cube containers similar to WM. They disappeared and the unknown food boxcar guys that used to unload over on Rust street moved in (since Rust street was taken over by the aggregate customer who usually has 10-20 stone cars on the property.

Factor in the building supply place on Rust street and another 2 customers way back down at spur coming off the other end of maspeth yard, and I would say traffic through there is as high as it can get at the moment. No track that is still in place is not without a customer that doesn't get switched at least once a week.

I suspect if there was more room for transloading, more customers could be found. Over at the end of the bushwick branch there's a new customer unloading gondolas just west of morgan ave. They paved over the tracks and cleared out all of the junk abandoned cars and trash a few years back to make it another transload site.
  by Sir Ray

DogBert wrote:The entire site used to be the loadout for the city water tunnel 3 project, with the ore jennies run out to LI.
So that's were the 3rd water tunnel transload was - for some reason I thought it was closer to the Sunnyside yards. Good to see it remains busy.
Factor in the building supply place on Rust street and another 2 customers way back down at spur coming off the other end of maspeth yard, and I would say traffic through there is as high as it can get at the moment.
I'm going to modify my previous statement and give it a late 1960s level of activity - a 1950 level of activity would mean the 3 (maybe 4) readily visible ROWS in the block bounded by Grand, 54th st, and the Bushwick branch would all have active sidings.

And the Waste Management trackmobile misidentification is why I don't do photo reconnaissance analysis for the CIA - the shadows really do make it look like a small industrial critter. OK, next question then - in mysterd429's google view, what is the squarish looking orange/white cab on that short siding tucked into the green fence bend (possibly a gate), west off the bushwick? It doesn't seem to show up in Bing views, nor in that Newtown Creek walk-thru that rscott posted - doesn't really look like a truck - a short bus? a really big & festive hot-dog cart?
  by deandremouse

Sir Ray wrote: And the Waste Management trackmobile misidentification is why I don't do photo reconnaissance analysis for the CIA - the shadows really do make it look like a small industrial critter. OK, next question then - in mysterd429's google view, what is the squarish looking orange/white cab on that short siding tucked into the green fence bend (possibly a gate), west off the bushwick? It doesn't seem to show up in Bing views, nor in that Newtown Creek walk-thru that rscott posted - doesn't really look like a truck - a short bus? a really big & festive hot-dog cart?
If you mean this:

Looks like a Rail king trackmobile too, the dual direction model.

by rscott417

deandremouse wrote: Looks like a Rail king trackmobile too, the dual direction model.
I think that's a good guess, on the bing map it's parked along the (i guess would be) the south fence behind one of the container cranes.

Also does anyone have any knowledge of Bass Oil, is the motor oil in coming or out going and how do they load/unload it? And Meserole Street Recycling/Vortex Inc. doesn't have any good aerial shots, is it bailed or lose scrap and how do they load it?
  by mikey cruz

Deandremouse how are you gettin a 45 degree shot on Google? When I try it I can't get NYC on any angle, only places I can get are some areas around here in FL.
  by Sir Ray

mikey cruz wrote:Deandremouse how are you gettin a 45 degree shot on Google? When I try it I can't get NYC on any angle, only places I can get are some areas around here in FL.
I'm not Deandremouse, but I find it very easy to get the 45degree view in both IE9 and Chrome - for example, this view of LIRR Jamaica station, rolling over either Map or Earth gives a menu:
Traffic
Transit
45° (checked for slant, uncheck for straight down)
Labels (checked for street names/businesses etc)
-- and a drop-down arrow icon for even more options.
  by mikey cruz

for some reason when I do it from the Google Earth on my desktop it doesn't work but if I do it from www.google.com it works. I was tryin it from Firefox so that coulda been the problem too. Thanks Ray!
  by lirr42

I don't believe there is a 45° mode in Google Earth itself. It only works on Google Maps at this time.
  by deandremouse

mikey cruz wrote:Deandremouse how are you gettin a 45 degree shot on Google? When I try it I can't get NYC on any angle, only places I can get are some areas around here in FL.
Same as what Sir ray said lol.

I guess it only works in maps for the time being.
  by tj48

I seem to remember in one of my issues of Railpace (although I can't remember which one) this year a picture of the WM Trackmobile crossing an ave.with a garbage car in tow.
  by rscott417

I noticed in a few different pictures from google and bing maps in the Maspeth yard that theres a track that goes behind the El Dorado Coffee Roasters, and just passed Maspeth Avenue theres a siding with one to two boxcars thats not labled on the map. anyone know if theres a customer there?
  by Sir Ray

rscott417 wrote:I noticed in a few different pictures from google and bing maps in the Maspeth yard that theres a track that goes behind the El Dorado Coffee Roasters, and just passed Maspeth Avenue theres a siding with one to two boxcars thats not labled on the map. anyone know if theres a customer there?
I think I see what you are talking about, and the customer seems to be labeled Le Noble Lumber.
The only time NY&A must be able to switch it is at night, judging from all those cars parked on the siding at 49th & Maspeth in the Google Street view...