• The SIRR and RVRR V

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by Camelback

The nimby kids growing up along the ROW are tomorrow's railfans. What four year old doesn't think that a train coming through the backyard isn't pretty cool? All Mom and Dad have to do is put up a chain link fence and the kids can learn how to railfan safely.

by BigDell

The nimby kids growing up along the ROW are tomorrow's railfans. What four year old doesn't think that a train coming through the backyard isn't pretty cool? All Mom and Dad have to do is put up a chain link fence and the kids can learn how to railfan safely.

That is so true.... I have to say, one of my first "railfan" memories was watching the LIRR trains on the way to Montauk from my great-great-aunt and uncle's backyard in Amagansett. I couldn't believe that right back behind the tomato garden was a chain link fence and then - REAL railroad trains! It was a treat to see the 1964-era equipment rolling by (I was 4 at the time!).
I really do think that the kids along the ROW are going to become railfans because you really almost can't help it!
BigDell

by Don Maxton

I couldn't agree more. Watching the Rahway Valley deliver coal in Maplewood, right at the back of the local park, was a real thrill, right from the age of four.
  by TheBaran

Noticed yesterday (July 21) that survey stakes have been placed along the track that runs south of the car wash off Market Street in Kenilworth. Front-end loader was over the tracks and vegetation had been removed. The portion of track from this point to a location just south of the Parkway overpass is free from encroachment and is likely next for replacement.

by rvrrhs

Here's a curious thing:

My mother lives in Troy Village in Springfield, so I frequently pass the RV crossing next to I-78. Recently, I noticed that some pothole-patch was laid down, covering the exposed rail in the roadway. I wonder who did that, the Springfield road dept., or the guy who uses the ROW to park his company's trucks behind his house? The crossing there was not exactly a hazard to auto undercarriages. (Personally, I can't wait until the Liberty Ave. crossing is rebuilt--that one is like going off-roading in a Hyundai!)

by northjerseybuff

So now that half of this project is done..what is the time frame for the rebuilding of the line up to summit? I'm not really familiar at all with the line. How many miles are we talking from Cranford-Summit?
Seems like another 1-2 years possibly?
And when all is set and done..then what happens..no more interchanging with NS/CSX in Cranford?
Isin't a reverse move necessary to make the trek to summit?
sorry for all the questions..this is possibly the best thing happening in north jersey right now

by Camelback

The trip from Cranford to Summit via Roselle Park, Kenilworth, Union and Springfield is approximately 9 miles. From what I understand, the next portion of the rehab will be from Cranford into Union because that is where the potential customers are. The portion from Springfield to Summit does not have any potential customers. However, the M&E will use it for light engine moves to Bayway and to bring freight cars to their customers in Morris County.

I think the next portion will be finished within twelve to eighteen months. The final portion will be done in two and a half to four years time, depending on available funds.

A reverse move is necessary to go from the SIRR to the Rahway Valley in Cranford.

My best guess is that there will still be an interchange in Cranford once the final portion is completed. It will save a day's time from interchanging in Dover.

by rvrrhs

rvrrhs wrote:Here's a curious thing:

My mother lives in Troy Village in Springfield, so I frequently pass the RV crossing next to I-78. Recently, I noticed that some pothole-patch was laid down, covering the exposed rail in the roadway. I wonder who did that, the Springfield road dept., or the guy who uses the ROW to park his company's trucks behind his house? The crossing there was not exactly a hazard to auto undercarriages.
I went past there yesterday, planning to catch a glimpse of the offending vehicles (I couldn't, and I had the kids in the car so I couldn't park and walk in), but instead noticed that there is a bunch of gravel leading south/east on the ROW--so "Mr. Encroachment" has paved himself a driveway of sorts.
  by Douglas John Bowen

A Roselle citizen, playing the environmental card, has not been cowed by the recent Morristown & Erie test train. In a July 21 letter to the local newspaper (link below), she warns the M&E -- verb chosen deliberately here; her request is hardly a plea -- to comply with any and all safety and environmental concerns Roselle might express.

Still in the running among such concerns, incidentally: Storage of creosote ties.

NJ-ARP can't help but admire the no-surrender, hard-edged tone the letter carries. But it takes two parties to communicate, and diplomacy does not seem to be the strong suit of Rahway Valley Railroad opponents -- even when (one might argue) they face an increasingly difficult challenge to "stop the train."

http://briantpark.home.att.net/rail_lin ... a_must.htm
Last edited by Douglas John Bowen on Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by rvrrhs

Well, now that the tracks have been rebuilt, I don't think she'll need to worry about the issue of tie storage...

by CJPat

I don't know what an Environmental Justice Petition is. And I don't know who is referenced by "Environmental Task Force members, with authority in several areas of concern".

My read on what Ms. Murphy is saying she expects will be done by this party will probably not be ss harsh as she hopes.

All that has been said is that the various agencies will conduct their normal day to day operations as usual.

A. The DEP will watch to see that pesticide applications will be conducted as per standard means, where it occurs in their jurisdiction - in essence just to make sure pesticides are not applied erroneously to private property.

B. The DOT will continue to answer questions from private citizens. Since railroad ties do not present a leaching hazard, DOT is not concerned regarding Tie Storage.

Government legislation will continue to be debated, reviewed, and perhaps passed but all in its own time frame with no regard to the M&Es operational schedule.

by RVRR Resurrected

That bridge pretty much cuts the town in half and the traffic is terrible there. Id hate to see it go but it would be a major improvement to the area in function and looks if it was removed. Too bad they cant just make a grade crossing out of it since traffic there would be light.
  by ChooChooHead2

While riding my bike this afternoon, I discovered a new bike path that crosses Black Brook Park in Kenilworth. To my surprise, Union County built this path just recently, and even better, it crosses Michigan Ave leading to Fairway Drive.

The biggest surprise, however, is that it crosses the RVRR tracks! The new asphalt has been laid right up to the rails. I imagine the M&E crews or the County will have to build a new crossing for it to be functional. This is the first time I have ever seen a dedicated bikeway with a railroad crossing. I can't help but wonder if smaller gates, lights and bells will be installed here, similar in scale to the type one might find at an amusement park.

As soon as I have the chance to return I'll be sure to post some photos, as the ROW has been cleared from the Boulevard to US 22.

by wis bang

I've been watching them build that path. I was suprised when they crossed Michigan Ave just a little north of the bootleg trail the kids have been using...Is this their way to get the 'crossing' in before this area's rails are replaced?

M & E has been working all week connecting the rail North/West of Liberty to those in the street. After seeing the hy-rail alot, today there was some kind of track machine working on the new section & the crossing has flange groves from this activity...

by rvrrhs

Geez. I forgot to report on that crossing work on Liberty Ave.! I crossed it last weekend, and was pleasantly surprised not to have obliterated my undercarriage as had happened so many times previously. It's about time!