• The final departure of the Century

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by latonyco

I am sure that there a great number of people in this forum who realize that today is the 39th anniversary of the final trip of the Twentieth Century Limited as well as the other NYC long distance name trains which were still in service at that time. That decision was apparently a well guarded secret by the Central's upper management then. I can still remember being stunned by the shock of that story as I watched the 11:00pm news that Saturday night December 2, 1967. The WCBS-TV newscaster reported that, earlier in the evening, the Century had departed GCT and rolled in to history.
Until then, it seemed unthinkable that a long standing American institution, like that, would ever disappear despite the circumstances leading to its final deaprture.
A sad event, indeed!

by Rockingham Racer

By the cliff at Marist College in Poughkeepsie between 19h32 and 19h36, usually. Used to watch it go by frequently.
  by latonyco

That was one of many great locations along the right-of-way of the NYC from which to view the passing parade of the Great Steel Fleet, I'm sure. I was fortunate enough to witness the passing of the Century, as well as other NYC trains, many times from various locations. The last time I saw #25 was about two weeks before its final trip. Being in the right place at the right time enabled me to see the train as it roared out of the north end of the Breakneck tunnel. I'll never forget that moment! About half an hour later I was able to see the westbound Wolverine as it crossed Annsville Creek near Roa Hook. At that time, I had no idea of the impending doom close at hand for those and the other great name trains still in service.
Can anyone here share any recollections of the final departure of the eastbound Century from Chicago or its arrival at GCT?

by Noel Weaver

I watched its final departure from Grand Central Terminal but I was up
front talking to the engine crew and did not see just what took place back
by the passenger cars.
Incidentally, the train that ran in its place carried the coaches and
sleepers for Chicago, Detroit and a number of other destinations west of
Buffalo. Railroaders started calling the combined train the "Great Steel
Fleet".
Noel Weaver

by latonyco

Thank you once again Mr. Weaver. It is always interesting to read your recollections and other well informed commentary about the NYC. This time, of course, is no exception. I look forward to seeing more of your comments.