• The East Side Access Project Discussion (ESA)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DogBert

Anyone know what LIRR's doing with Arch street shop? Going by on the subway the other day, there were MTA trucks and a pile of furniture outside.

NY&A looks to have final left Arch street's freight side. Two LIRR work gons were in there, I assume some kind of clean up. I'm curious if LIRR will retail and reuse the property or sell it to the highest bidder? With the real estate market around LIC, they could certainly fetch a lot of money for it.
  by LB

So will the new tracks go over, under or across the existing footprint of the train yard?
  by DogBert

The track leading to the new layup yard (where the freight yard was) follows the path of the Amtrak loop track - only it is below ground. They built a vent building for this new tunnel at 39th street.
  by Backshophoss

With BBD finally leaving Arch St Shop,is LIRR trying to get Arch st online to save deadheading trains to Hillside,
till Amtrak rebuilds the West side Yard running repair shop?
  by lpetrich

Commuter X's link with its title mta.info | Capital Programs East Side Access: Project Documents (courtesy of Firefox extension Copy Link Text)

Under Reports is March 23, 2015 Report from the LIRR Committee and Quarterly Reports (still at 2014 Q4)
  • Manhattan South Structures (CM005), Manhattan North Structures (CM006) -- in mid-construction
  • 55th Street Vent Plant Facility (CM013A) -- "substantial completion" expected by next month (May 2015)
  • Plaza Substation and Queens Structures (CQ032) -- in mid-construction
  • Harold Structures (CH053) -- 12-kV C3 Feeder getting ready for cutover, C1 and C2 ones to follow.
  • Harold Structures (CH054A) -- in mid-construction
  • Harold Structures - Part 3A (CH057A) -- pile driving will restart; it's for the Westbound Bypass
  • GCT Caverns (CM007) -- contractor-company representatives invited for a conference and a tour
  by MattW

I just want to know one simple thing, is there a single-level coach that meets the ESA tunnel clearance envelope? Yes I know there are no locomotives that do, I know there are no plans to build either to do so, and I'm not suggesting it, I'm just curious for my own purposes.
  by DutchRailnut

clearance is about 12 foot 4 inch you do math.
  by TrainPhotos

What is the grade profile for that approach?
  by DogBert

Backshophoss wrote:With BBD finally leaving Arch St Shop,is LIRR trying to get Arch st online to save deadheading trains to Hillside,
till Amtrak rebuilds the West side Yard running repair shop?
I don't think there's a connection from the amtrak SSY loop track to the old 'yard a' side yet. I'm assuming a switch will be put in somewhere in case they need to lay up a penn train at yard a or bring it into arch street. I think the only way to get over there at the moment is the old cutoff.
  by TrainPhotos

How do the 4 tunnels become 8? Is the existing tunnel four tracks, i thought it was only two? What am i missing here? :P
  by Backshophoss

You have 2 single track tunnels for direct routing to the Hellgate line out of Penn,bypassing Harold underground,
a tunnel to what was yard A from the GCT 2 track tunnel.(under Sunnyside Loop tracks)
There're a couple of "mini tunnels" for Power and signal cables.
  by Commuter X

You folks are too optimistic this will be completed in our lifetime

Perhaps by that time, Part XXXV will have started
  by nyandw

Commuter X wrote:You folks are too optimistic this will be completed in our lifetime Perhaps by that time, Part XXXV will have started
Depends on how old you are... :wink: What info makes you state this? Is it over/under budget, behind schedule, stalled by the legal system, etc.