• Temporary SWC Reroute

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Station Aficionado

There has been an extensive discussion about a permanent reroute of the Southwest Chief from the Raton Pass line to the Transcon. I understand that the Raton Pass line is currently closed east of Lamy, NM, due to a washout. The SWC has been temporarily rerouted to the Transcon. Amtrak's website gives no info on the situation other than "service disruption". Does anyone know how the Albuquerque station stop/train servicing is being handled? Is the train stopping and being serviced at Belen, or is it running to Albuquerque and then being turned? I know that some things can be tolerated for a few days that would not be tolerated longterm, but I wonder if this temporary situation gives any clue as to what would happen with a permanent reroute--i.e., whether the train be stopped and serviced at Belen without unacceptable interference with BNSF freight operations, or whether turning the train at Albuquerque is a feasible option.
  by jp1822

Supposedly they are NOT using the re-route via the BNSF transcon but rather a bus bridge between Albuquerque and LaJunta.
  by tnbirke

Local reports state that the eastbound SWC has been seen in Amarillo. Also reported is that that the reroute is over, and no word on the AQ situation.
  by Printman2000

Only one train (#4(22)) was routed through Amarillo on the transcon. All other trains have been bus bridged between La Junta and Albuquerque. Trains are being turned at each end.

I am on Saturday's #3(25) from Lamy to LA. Got a call from Amtrak that a bus from La Junta will be picking us up in Lamy to take us to Albuquerque.
  by jp1822

Printman2000 wrote:Only one train (#4(22)) was routed through Amarillo on the transcon. All other trains have been bus bridged between La Junta and Albuquerque. Trains are being turned at each end.

I am on Saturday's #3(25) from Lamy to LA. Got a call from Amtrak that a bus from La Junta will be picking us up in Lamy to take us to Albuquerque.
That's not too bad as Lamy is the connection point for passengers heading to Santa Fe right? And it is not that far from ABQ all things considered? LaJunta to ABQ is practically an "all-day" train journey - now to be accomplished via bus.

The route, even with the bus-bridge still requires the normal number of train sets for the Soutwest Chief right? If not, preliminary report had the bus-bridge running at least through Monday. If there was an extra train set freed up, I'd say for Amrak to try and sell some extra space by putting sleepers or coaches on the Capitol Limited. But I don't think this is the case - an extra train set arising from the Southwest Chief's current bus-bridge situation.
  by Printman2000

I have now found out (from someone else not Amtrak) that this problem is expected to last at least a week. ALSO, they are not offering alternate transportation to Lamy from #4.

So that means we can leave from Lamy tomorrow, but likely not be able to return to Lamy next Saturday.

We have decided to drive to Albuquerque to leave and return to.
  by Printman2000

Can someone give me some ideas for parking in Albuquerque?
  by Penn Central

Printman2000 wrote:Can someone give me some ideas for parking in Albuquerque?
From the Rail Runner website: Parking is available for a fee at the parking structure located directly across from the Downtown Albuquerque station on 1st Street just south of Gold Avenue. Access the parking structure from 2nd Street south of Gold Avenue.
  by Printman2000

That is where we ended up parking. It is expensive ($8 a day) but very convenient.
  by M&Eman

Printman2000 wrote:That is where we ended up parking. It is expensive ($8 a day) but very convenient.
Maybe I'm just used to crowded Northeastern cities, but $8/day strikes me as extremely cheap as far as parking goes.
  by strench707

I am going to be taking this train with my family in mid-July and we really want to stay on the correct Amtrak route. Does anyone have any insight on whether or not things will be normal then?

Davis
  by Bart78

Sure would like to know how a bus bridge can handle the volume of Boy Scouts out of Philmont that book travel to Raton. Based on my one trip from Newton KS to CHI and return during the summer, I'd guess that requires dedicated buses just for that group from LJ to Raton where Philmont shuttles pick them up.