• Temple University ROW

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Umblehoon

Hey all, I have a question about the ROW at Temple. It looks as though the ROW used to be significantly larger there at one time. Standing on the platforms looking towards the university, there are a handful of patches of elevated ground adjoining the ROW and are making their way back to a primitive state. Something about them really gives the look of an obandoned rail line, but if there were tracks there, they would have plowed into a factory bilding on Berks right by the current station. Did there used to be tracks there that fed that factory? Are those patches not related to the railroad at all?

Any information that can be offered is welcome!

by glennk419

There were several sidings that branched off of the viaduct in the vicinity of the current Temple station, as well as the original station at Susquehanna Ave, now Cecil B. Moore Blvd. Quaker Storage, Phillies Cigars and several coal docks were among the industries served. There was also a small yard/engine storage facility with stubbed sidings at Berks Street, I remember the large concrete bumpers which survived all the way up the Railworks project and Temple station relocation in the 90's. I believe this was the remains of the Berks Street Freight Terminal. Just north of the station was Diamond Interlocking which spanned all four tracks and north of that, a significant coach yard existed just south of North Philadelphia station.

by jfrey40535

Is that what those stub tracks are south of the North Broad station?

by glennk419

The North Philly coach yard was on the west side of the ROW between Huntingdon and Cumberland, it is totally abandoned. The stub tracks on the east side of the station serve a small maintenance base located there. MOW equipment is occasionally stored there, and the siding once served the warehouse next to the station as well.

by Sean@Temple

You mean Columbia not susquahanna.

Sean@Temple

by glennk419

Sean@Temple wrote:You mean Columbia not susquahanna.

Sean@Temple
Yes, thanks for the correction.

by jfrey40535

Just south of Temple, I noticed where the power phase break is, there are these strange looking signals in the form of a circle, which are always illuminated.

Can anyone elaborate on what this is?

by aem7

They are phase break signals. Trains are not allowed to take power going under the phase break. Signals are just reminders. Amtrak feeds traction power northward from 30th St to the phase break (at Girard Ave) and Septa feeds power southward to the phase break.

by Jersey_Mike

They are phase break signals. Trains are not allowed to take power going under the phase break. Signals are just reminders. Amtrak feeds traction power northward from 30th St to the phase break (at Girard Ave) and Septa feeds power southward to the phase break.
Well they are more than just a reminder. In theory, a phaze break has the option to be not active. If the power on either side of the break is in phaze, the phaze break becomes inactive and the signal changes from all 8 lamps lit to just the 4 diagonal ones being lit. When the power is out of phaze then all 8 lamps light and the section of wire in the middle of the break is de-energized.

When passing between power that is always out of phaze (like entering a different voltage or frequency) you have a "dead section" not a Phaze Break. These are marked with periment 'DS' boards.

At least this is the way it is suposted to work.

by jfrey40535

Is it also true that the overhead along the Reading Terminal viaduct is still active? SEPTA mentions in their capital budget that the Callowhill power station is from the old Reading days.

I found it peculiar that some of the catenary structures along the unused viaduct have new paint on them (by new I mean within the last 25 years). While the catenary is in bad shape and the signals have been cannibalized (by collectors or SEPTA?) the remaining overhead lines are intact. Kind of sad that from Temple to Wayne, we're powering trains with wires on a abandoned ROW with trees growing on them. I'm sure it would be fun if a crew had to go up there to do repairs.

Thanks for the other info though...

by jfrey40535

I think I also need a refresher, is the voltage the same on both sides? Or is one side 11Kv and the other 25Kv?

by glennk419

The wires along the abandoned ROW as well as the Callowhill Sub are still active and provide power to the north side of the phase break. Every couple of years you hear of a scavenger being fried trying to steal the copper. The power on both sides of the phase break is the same voltage and frequency....11kv at 25 hz. I simply exists to isolate the ex-RDG power system from the ex-PRR / Amtrak system.

jfrey40535 wrote:Is it also true that the overhead along the Reading Terminal viaduct is still active? SEPTA mentions in their capital budget that the Callowhill power station is from the old Reading days.

I found it peculiar that some of the catenary structures along the unused viaduct have new paint on them (by new I mean within the last 25 years). While the catenary is in bad shape and the signals have been cannibalized (by collectors or SEPTA?) the remaining overhead lines are intact. Kind of sad that from Temple to Wayne, we're powering trains with wires on a abandoned ROW with trees growing on them. I'm sure it would be fun if a crew had to go up there to do repairs.

Thanks for the other info though...