Railroad Forums 

• Sydney Monorail

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1625104  by Jeff Smith

The Guardian

https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-n ... s-monorail
The wrong track: remembering the embarrassing saga of Sydney’s monorail
In Sydney, mention of “the monorail” carries a similar, slightly more embarrassing weight in the city’s collective memory.

Friday marked 10 years since Sydney’s monorail ran its final loop, after 25 years of loyal, if sometimes unreliable, service.

Opening in 1988, when a city of roughly three and a half million people was crying out for mass transport alternatives to unclog the streets, the Sydney monorail had the potential to service remarkably few people.

With eight stops along a 3.6km, single-direction track, the monorail won out over a rival push for a light-rail line as the transport option to link Sydney’s central business district with the newly repurposed Darling Harbour precinct.
 #1625235  by David Benton

My memory was that it was built for a Olympic or Commonwealth Games , but there is no mention of that, so maybe i am wrong. i think the whole Darling harbour development was a bit of a flop.
 #1625936  by Pakenhamtrain

David Benton wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:01 am My memory was that it was built for a Olympic or Commonwealth Games , but there is no mention of that, so maybe i am wrong. i think the whole Darling harbour development was a bit of a flop.
It was built as a transport link between the city and Darling Harbour. The preference was a light rail line.