• Sydney & Louisbourg

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

by trainsinmaine

I paid a wonderful visit to Cape Breton eight summers ago --- my first trip there --- and have been wanting to go back ever since. My chance may come this August.

I stayed in Louisbourg for a couple of days when I was there in '97 (what a delightful town!!), and visited the Sydney & Louisbourg Railway Museum, housed in one of the railroad's old cabooses. I also purchased a book on the line's rather colorful history.

Assuming I get back there this year, I'd like to traverse some of the old ROW. I know pretty much where it goes; I gather quite a lot of it is still extant (it really hasn't been gone all that long). Is it driveable/hikeable? Any particularly interesting artifacts to be seen along the way?

by keiichi902

The old ROW is still there, although overgrown in some area's it is for the most part intact. All the tresles have been removed except for 2 around Mira gut area so I hope your a good swimmer. Some of the ROW is used by ATVs and is very passable other areas are overground by small trees, but completely passable to hikers. The rails to Glace Bay were intact up until a few years ago, but are in the final stages of being removed (the ROW in downtown Glace Bay was leveled for a parking lot). Hope this helps

Jason