• Susquehanna Bridge Repair/Replace Status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jersey_Mike

I posted my photos I took about a month ago of Amtrak's susquehanna bridge repair between Perryville and Havre de Grace. Today the southbound track is probably just about done, but I caught it when they had just begun so you can see how its being put together.

I posted the report at: http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=134790

Enjoy and comments welcome.
  by The Metropolitan

Beginning in Mid April, Amtrak will begin to replace timbers on the Susquehanna River Bridge that is between Aberdeen and Perryville (commuter) on the NEC.

During this time, they are advising to expect delays of about 15 minutes due to operating single track operation during this procedure.

Only 2 outbond MARC trains will operate to Perryville, with all other MARC trains originating and terminating at Aberdeen. During this time, about 10 Amtrak trains will make the station stop at Perryville. I have the list at work, and can furnish the train numbers that will make the Perryville stop.

by hsr_fan

Hmm, I seem to remember them doing a lot of work on this bridge a couple of years ago. Is this strictly tie replacement? Not sure what else would be "timbers" on a steel bridge.

by The Metropolitan

Found the press release...

http://www.mtamaryland.com/status/index ... RC%20Train

Turns out that 7 Amtrak trains total will be stopping at Perryville. At present, 151 already does so.

by mkellerm

There is also a longish article on the reconstruction in this month's Amtrak Ink (pdf).

by kevikens

Do you know how this will impact NS with its freight moves to and from the Port Road ?

NS

by amtrakhogger

The bridge work in question should not affect NS operations since
most trains run at night.
  by Schaffner

After watching a DVD of the Penn Central era of what is now the NEC, and seeing some more recent pictures, I'm convinced that the center truss span of the massive Susquehanna River bridge is in fact a swing bridge. Am I right? If it is a moveable bridge, what would have ever come up the lower Susquehanna that would require a movement of the bridge as it looks like its over 70 feet about the water?
  by Matt Johnson

Perhaps it once was, but I don't believe it is now. I doubt the speed limit would be 90 mph if it still had the breaks in the rail that a moveable bridge requires. It seems like every moveable rail bridge I've ridden over requires slowing to 40 mph or less.
  by Greg Moore

Schaffner wrote:After watching a DVD of the Penn Central era of what is now the NEC, and seeing some more recent pictures, I'm convinced that the center truss span of the massive Susquehanna River bridge is in fact a swing bridge. Am I right? If it is a moveable bridge, what would have ever come up the lower Susquehanna that would require a movement of the bridge as it looks like its over 70 feet about the water?
As far as I know, it's not navigable more than a few more miles up stream. Though googling there was at one point a canal, but not sure where it started ended.

Having said that, a look at Google Maps, it does look like it's a swing bridge.

And Wikipedia agrees: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak_Sus ... ver_Bridge

So looks like you're right.
  by amtrakhogger

Actually the Susquehanna Bridge at Perryville is a swing bridge and is operable. Currently, most river traffic (i.e. barges) do not need the bridge to open. Only the very infrequent tall sailboat requires the bridge to open. Furthermore, the bridge is still rated at 90mph and must be test opened at least one a month to ensure operability (per Coast Guard Regulations.)
  by Matt Johnson

amtrakhogger wrote:Actually the Susquehanna Bridge at Perryville is a swing bridge and is operable. Currently, most river traffic (i.e. barges) do not need the bridge to open. Only the very infrequent tall sailboat requires the bridge to open. Furthermore, the bridge is still rated at 90mph and must be test opened at least one a month to ensure operability (per Coast Guard Regulations.)
Interesting...makes me wonder why all of the bridges on NJ Transit's Coast Line are so darn slow! Didn't know you could have a 90 mph moveable span.
  by Jtgshu

Matt Johnson wrote:
amtrakhogger wrote:Actually the Susquehanna Bridge at Perryville is a swing bridge and is operable. Currently, most river traffic (i.e. barges) do not need the bridge to open. Only the very infrequent tall sailboat requires the bridge to open. Furthermore, the bridge is still rated at 90mph and must be test opened at least one a month to ensure operability (per Coast Guard Regulations.)
Interesting...makes me wonder why all of the bridges on NJ Transit's Coast Line are so darn slow! Didn't know you could have a 90 mph moveable span.
Before the fire a few years ago, Portal Draw was 70mph, now its 60mph.
  by RedLantern

Here's a photo (taken 1977) from the Wikipedia article which should give a better perspective.

by R36 Combine Coach

The arch span at center is the Thomas Hatem Bridge (US Route 40) while in the far distance on the horizon is the Tyndings Toll Bridge (Interstate 95-JFK Memorial Highway). The B&O Bridge is behind the Hatem span.