• Super Bowl Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Patrick Boylan

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/ar ... l/15268961" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In addition to a tailgating ban, there will also be no unauthorized taxis or car services bringing fans to the game. The 80,000 ticket holders will have to arrive by way of charter bus called the Fan Express, which costs $51, by way of the NJ Transit or with the use of a parking pass, of which there are less than 13,000 available.

“Nobody’s going to be dropped off by black car,” Kelly said. “You can have a black car, a green car, a white car, a red car as long as you have parking, and the car needs to stay on the premises the entire time.”

That’s OK, fans can just park in lots away from the stadium and walk to the game, right? Wrong. Kelly said no one will be allowed to enter the stadium on foot unless they have arrived via public transportation or shuttle bus — where security will have screened them before and after — or they have an approved parking pass.
  by Thomas

What will New Jersey do to pursued out-of-towners to take the "Train to the Game" on Super Sunday?
  by nick11a

I've merged the Super Bowl topics together. And as far as what service is provided by NJT during the Super Bowl, you better believe it will be massive with all of the bells and whistles. NJT will be in the national spotlight and they're going to do their best to look good in it. This is quite a feather in their cap and their going to make sure it is one big feather.
  by lirr42

If what I read in the New York Times earlier this afternoon is correct (I will post the link when I get back to my computer), the three agencies plan to run "weekday levels of service" that weekend, so well see what they have in the cards.
  by fishball

They also designed a cool graphic map of NJ and NY transit services
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/regional_t ... iagram.PDF

The meadowlands spur is only shown as running between Secaucus and the Meadowlands complex. Does this mean that there will be no Hoboken service? This seems to be more common. Some of the recent sports events/concerts are only getting secaucus-meadowlands shuttles, not hoboken-secaucus-meadowlands.
  by lirr42

When the map came out yesterday I remarked that it was strange they had a map that showed "typical weekday service" when most people will be traveling on Superbowl Sunday. In that spirit, I revised the map to be more reflective oft typical weekend service.

But that was before the news that the three agencies plan on running "weekday levels of service" so I expect we'll see a hybrid of the two instead.
  by lirr42

fishball wrote:The meadowlands spur is only shown as running between Secaucus and the Meadowlands complex. Does this mean that there will be no Hoboken service? This seems to be more common. Some of the recent sports events/concerts are only getting secaucus-meadowlands shuttles, not hoboken-secaucus-meadowlands.
That seems to be the case, which is unfortunate because no matter where you are coming from you will have to do the Secaucus shuffle. Starting trains out of Hoboken allows people to come across on the PATH, HBLR, etc. and help keep the crowds swarming the fare gates at SEC a bit lower.
  by srock1028

lirr42 wrote:
fishball wrote:The meadowlands spur is only shown as running between Secaucus and the Meadowlands complex. Does this mean that there will be no Hoboken service? This seems to be more common. Some of the recent sports events/concerts are only getting secaucus-meadowlands shuttles, not hoboken-secaucus-meadowlands.
That seems to be the case, which is unfortunate because no matter where you are coming from you will have to do the Secaucus shuffle. Starting trains out of Hoboken allows people to come across on the PATH, HBLR, etc. and help keep the crowds swarming the fare gates at SEC a bit lower.
I think it has something to do with where the security sweeps will be taking place. And also 10 car trains dont fit into Hoboken that easily...
  by Patrick Boylan

How many 10 car trains do they plan to run?
How often?
How difficult is it to fit 10 car trains, with diesel locomotive of course, into Hoboken? I assume Sunday schedule on the rest of the railroad would take some of the sting out of that difficulty, but what exactly are the "weekday levels of service" they plan?
Will they actually need all 10 cars to be on the platform for the presumably less than a full trainload of Hoboken passengers?

I suspect they've had other Meadowlands events that drew larger crowds than the Superbowl, for example maybe they've already had a sellout football game. Does the stadium have extra Superbowl seats that they don't use for regular games? Of course one thing that may add train passengers is the "less than 13,000" parking passes in the article I posted at the beginning, even if overall attendance is no bigger than prior gigs.
  by nick11a

It appears that the Meadowlands train to the Super Bowl will only run between Secaucus and the stadium. This is being discussed in the other Super Bowl "Special Ticketing" thread (which I'm considering merging with this topic as there are overapping points.)
  by mlc482

Map lists Amtrak as stopping at Secaucus... I can't imagine anyone going to the game really using this map, but if they do, maybe you'll see some football tourists confused at Newark Penn.
  by Thomas

Will Bergen County and Main Line Trains not stop at the same platform as the Meadowlands Shuttle Trains within Secaucus Junction?

The reason why I ask is because I can only imagine a lot of confusion from out of towners if multiple trains board from the same platform.
  by lirr42

Thomas wrote:Will Bergen County and Main Line Trains not stop at the same platform as the Meadowlands Shuttle Trains within Secaucus Junction?

The reason why I ask is because I can only imagine a lot of confusion from out of towners if multiple trains board from the same platform.
Then we'll put our common sense-hats on and use our eyes and ears to get on the proper train!

Novel concept...
  by runningwithscalpels

lirr42 wrote:
Thomas wrote:Will Bergen County and Main Line Trains not stop at the same platform as the Meadowlands Shuttle Trains within Secaucus Junction?

Then we'll put our common sense-hats on and use our eyes and ears to get on the proper train!

Novel concept...
Surely you jest? Common sense!?
  by srock1028

Even during regular season Meadowlands Service, Main/Bergen/PVL trains use a different platform then Meadowlands trains. The way it usually is: Meadowlands on 1 and 3, Westbound Main/Bergen/PVL on 2 and Eastbounds on 4. This will most likely be the set-up for Super Bowl.