• Suicide at Davis

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ceo

According to mbta.com, the Red Line is busing between Alewife and Harvard this afternoon due to "police activity" at Davis.

A friend of mine was at Davis and saw the guy jump. He apparently lined himself up with the tracks and pulled his arms in before the train passed over him.

Anyone know what the under-train clearance of a Red Line car is? I'm guessing it's... not enough.

by Diverging Route

Whew, that's gonna cause a huge mess at Harvard Square. Today is Harvard University Commencement. When I went through there at 7:15 this morning on the 66 bus, it was already a nightmare.

by mattster

Was the guy who was hit at Davis earlier this year ruled as a suicide? I remember he survived and was hospitalized, but I think he died later.

Lots of deaths seem to occur on the Red Line. With that kid tain surfing back in '99 and various suicides over the years...

by Porter Sq

Back in the 70's my Aunt saw a guy go down in the pit and just grab the third rail. He died and my Aunt still remembers it to this day.

by Robert Paniagua

I wonder why they use the Red Line to jump on tracks or to play even chicken.

Maybe we should have more police details on the Red Line to discourage this activity, IMHO.

by octr202

This is a frighteningly common trend, especially when you look at it nationwide. Just this past week the Globe ran a front page story (Monday, I believe?) on the effects of fatalities on train crews, with a focus on MBCR and Amtrak engineers. The article commented a lot on the vast number of these fatalties that are not accidents at all, but suicides.

Anyone here who reads the New Jersey Transit board certainly knows how frighteningly commonplace suicide by train can start to seem at times.

by fm535

I believe the Orange Line has its fair share of jumpers too. When I worked at Copley Mall, there were two jumpers on the OL during that time frame. I think the speed is what invites the opportunity, the GL is much slower in and about the stations, as well as the BL, too.

by StevieC48

Here's a little factoid. 95% of MBTA Operators never operate after jumpers in front of them. Ive seen the medical reports and the reason they dont go back to operating is "Psycholigal Problems" cant get back in the saddle. They either leave on disability or go to collector making the same pay etd. Realy facinating subject.

by Robert Paniagua

Yesterday, at Old Columbia Station (now JFKUMASS), a lady was arrested for attenpting to throw her young child onto the path of an oncoming train. Luckily that didn't happen and other bystanders got a hold of her until police arrived to take her into custody. Anyone else heard of this?

by Ron Newman

From the print edition of the Somerville News, July 6 (the article doesn't seem to be on their web site):

MBTA Reveals Identity of Red Line Suicide Victim

By Diane Gaillard

The MBTA released the name and cause of death of the 45-year-old man who jumped in front of the Ashmont-bound train June 9.

"Barry Morrill of 347 Lowell Street died of multiple skull fractures and blunt trauma to the head," said Joseph D. Pesaturo, Spokesperson for the MBTA.

MBTA officials shut down train service in Davis Square for two hours after the incident, in order to clear the tracks of Morrill's body, he said.

(there's more, but that's all I feel like typing today)