• Subway/Surface happenings

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Sean@Temple

Last week a construction trailer was placed in the middle of the 40th street Portal loop. This caught my attention but there were no clues as to its purpose. Today (first day of the strike) I drove past and the whole place was fenced off with lots of vehicles and trolleys present. Are they finally finishing the signal work or is it something else? At the very least SEPTA is using some common sence by getting some work done while the system is down.

Sean@Temple
  by Matthew Mitchell

Sean@Temple wrote:Last week a construction trailer was placed in the middle of the 40th street Portal loop. This caught my attention but there were no clues as to its purpose.
I'm not sure what contractors if any are working in the tunnel, but if there are any, it would be a good idea for SEPTA to move the construction office from a SEPTA facility like Woodland that would be picketed to a temporary site where they might be able to get an injunction against pickets or a secondary action. This would be existing work--I doubt SEPTA would plan on doing a project if and when a strike hit.

by mannynews

The last time there was a strike, SEPTA fenced off the portal in the same way, I guess to keep tresspassers out of the tunnel and to prevent any disgruntled union members from doing any damage.

They run trollies through the tunnel periodically for technical reasons I believe......the trailer is probably there to house the management that needs to run the trollies.