• Subway station built when New England Medical Center wasdone

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by braves

I heard that when New England Medical Center was under construction in the 1960's, was a subway station being built at the same time and completed when the Medical Center was completed.

Need help, can anyone verify this.
  by jonnhrr

According to the Wikipedia entry on the station:

"The structural shell of the station was built in the late 1960s during what were to be the early stages of the abandoned Interstate 695 project, in anticipation of the future relocation of the Washington Street Elevated. The interior of the station was not finished, and equipment was not installed until the station was put into service in 1987. The station was originally named "New England Medical Center", but was renamed on March 19, 2010 after New England Medical Center changed its name to "Tufts Medical Center"."

Jon
  by The EGE

I'm not 100% on the reliability of that. I rewrote the article a few months back, and I sourced everything I could. I couldn't find anything specific to corroborate that claim, though I'd be grateful if anyone can dig up proof.
  by BostonUrbEx

That's definitely been talked about (and confirmed) on this forum before. NEMC was built before the subway. I'm sure some extensive searching will turn up a thread or two.
  by sery2831

You are right, because I learned that the station was built back in the 60s from here. Somewhere on here is a brief discussion on it. I think it came about with a posted picture from the 60s. So I have a feeling it is in a photo thread.
  by Arborwayfan

Well, the tunnel was there, because I remember seeing it from the train from the time I was a little kid in the late 70s. If the tunnel, why not the shell of the station?
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Arborwayfan wrote:Well, the tunnel was there, because I remember seeing it from the train from the time I was a little kid in the late 70s. If the tunnel, why not the shell of the station?
The station shell and South Cove Tunnel were built simultaneously in 1967. I swear I saw some pics of the tunnel construction through the South End posted (here?) last year, but search is turning up empty.
  by 3rdrail

I believe that I recall the photo also (if it's the same one). It was an overhead street level shot looking down into the open cut/cover construction at the new station and subway.
  by elecuyer

I have a BSRA track map of the MBTA dated Jan. 1973. It clearly shows the "New South Cove Tunnel" as being under construction. It does not show the NE Medical Center stop, but that might have been ommited from the map.
  by Arborway

Photos of the finished shell have to exist somewhere in the MBTA archives. I'm sure we'll see them someday...
  by Yellowspoon

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:The station shell and South Cove Tunnel were built simultaneously in 1967. I swear I saw some pics of the tunnel construction through the South End posted (here?) last year, but search is turning up empty.
I believe this photo, looking south, was taken in 1971 which shows where the new tunnel connects to the old Orange Line. It does not show the station, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by braves

If anyone else has pictures of this shell station or more pictures on the tunnel being built, please post the pictures up but if there was a site on pictures of the shell station or the tunnel being built, please post the site.
  by Shawmut1

I went to Don Bosco Technical High School (currently the Doubleday) from 1971 - 1973. I remember the station construction was going on at the same time we were building our gym (currently the Wang YMCA) and the new school and apartments in front of DBT. The old portal from the Tremont St. subway was still exposed and was the terminal for the City Point and Bay View busses.
  by Gerry6309

The South Cove Tunnel was fasttracked by the MBTA at its inception, even though the continuation of the line would wait for many years. It would have been impossible to build anything in that area after the medical center was built. Its like the dummy access to the Post Office Sq. Tunnel or the tail tracks at North Station. You make the provision for the future when you can, even if the future may never come. In this case it did...
  by 3rdrail

Forest Hills Yard angling towards the New Haven as well as the New Haven itself with its South Station underground loop were classic examples of ones that never had that future. Interestingly enough however, both, in their own rite, turned out to be "transit high achievements" with the Hills extension opening up almost half of the property within the City of Boston to homeowners, and needless to say, I need not extol the vitues of South Station. (Any time that you hear someone say this was built too large-gotta cut 'er down, or she was built too strong, an alarm should go off in your head. Civil engineers found that the El's bents - after years of rusting...were still over-contained with the amount of steel that they were required to have ! This is the battle cry of persons against the destroying properties which were made when construction meant more than just skinning the public.)