• subway conductors

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by rail10

Are there subway conductors on the boston t?

by CSX Conductor

There are no conductors on the subway trains, they are "guards". :wink:

by The Collector at Court St

PC says.... Train Attendants... not guards.

by octr202

Regardless of what they are called, yes there are, but only on the Red and Orange Lines. Blue Line went one person operation several years back.

Green Line of course has operators on every car when running more than one car trains.

by Robert Paniagua

Yes, the official name here for t/c's are Train Attendants. That term is also used in WMATA, but they are in the head car there, and Train Attendant is also used in Toronto.

As for the Blue Line, with 6-car trains coming up, are they gonna resurrect the Train Attendants there? They'll have to, based on the new train lengths.

by octr202

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yes, the official name here for t/c's are Train Attendants. That term is also used in WMATA, but they are in the head car there, and Train Attendant is also used in Toronto.

As for the Blue Line, with 6-car trains coming up, are they gonna resurrect the Train Attendants there? They'll have to, based on the new train lengths.
Chicago's El cars are about the same size as the Blue Line cars, and there are 8-car trains running there with just an operator. Will be interesting to see how it plays out here.

by caduceus

octr202 wrote:Chicago's El cars are about the same size as the Blue Line cars, and there are 8-car trains running there with just an operator. Will be interesting to see how it plays out here.
Wasn't the Guard Law a state law? If so, Illinois probably has different laws regarding it.

I don't know if there is still a Guard Law or if it was completely repealed, and the guards/"train attendants" on the Red and Orange are just for operational reasons.
Last edited by caduceus on Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CSX Conductor

octr202 wrote:Blue Line went one person operation several years back.
Anybody remember exactly when this took place? I believe it may have been about 15 years ago or so. Anybody?
Robert Paniagua wrote:As for the Blue Line, with 6-car trains coming up, are they gonna resurrect the Train Attendants there? They'll have to, based on the new train lengths.
Do the platforms still have cctv equipment to assist the motorman in seeing the entire train on curved platforms such as Bowdoin? If so I would be surprised if the MBTA went back to 2 man crews on the Blue Line.

Btw, when did they change the title from guards to train attendants?

by AznSumtinSumtin

I believe the Blue Line will still be 1 man crews once there are 6 car trains. I think 2 men crews will be needed if trains are longer than 4 Red Line cars.

by octr202

I forgot about it being a state law here. Didn't they get an amendment of the law for the Blue Line?

Obviously Illinois has different laws on it (or possibly none at all on the matter). I do recall that CTA retained conductors longer on the subway portions only of the Red and Blue Lines in Chicago, which are also the only lines that operate the 8 car trains. The others all run 6 or fewer cars, and are all above ground.

As for when the Blue Line (MBTA) changed, I'm guessing 1997-1998. I've been here in Boston since 1996, and it happened after I moved here, but only shortly after.

by CJ

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:I believe the Blue Line will still be 1 man crews once there are 6 car trains. I think 2 men crews will be needed if trains are longer than 4 Red Line cars.
Yeah, that is what ive heard as well, as they will be near the same size in length.

And IIRC , like you said octr202, it was sometime right after they re-opened wonderland->suffolk downs, as I remember back then, still with the guards, so your 97-98 fits nicely !

by Robert Paniagua

Anybody remember exactly when this took place? I believe it may have been about 15 years ago or so. Anybody?

Yes, on July 1996 (10 years ago coming up this summer), citing budget constraints, and the short length of Blue Line Cars, the MBTA decided to get rid of the second man and flip to OPTO.

However, IF they are gonna use 6-car Blue Line Consists, then they MAY have to add that Second Man and switch from OMTO (nee OPTO)

by hynespb

speaking of the blue line, is the first car still on track for april delivery for testing?

by The Collector at Court St

To Quote a T saying..... "On or near schedule"

The first duece is on the test track in NY. Should see it soon on the Orange test track followed by a deuce on the Blue.

For you real fans..... the first 600 should be available on a be-a-motorman program at Seashore in 2008..... sign-up now!

BTW, 559 & 562 may be available next year, if my summer goes right!