• Subway car delivery

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by l008com

Why don't they just string up subway cars behind a locomotive and roll them into town? I just don't get how it can be cheaper/easier to put trains cars on a TRUCK and drive them up one at a time. Whats the deal?

I know one reason is that there aren't many connections between the subway and main rail, but there are plenty of places they could probably just toss in a switch? I don't get it.

by AznSumtinSumtin

Look at the couplers on a subway car. Now look at the couplers on a diesel locomotive. Ta da!

by Yellowspoon

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:Look at the couplers on a subway car. Now look at the couplers on a diesel locomotive. Ta da!
Building a coupler that fits both is trivial. There must be some other explanation.

15 (?) years ago, some publication (Headlights?) had an article about a man who spent 2 days riding in a NYCTA car. It was being delivered and it was on the rails, so I know it is done occasionally.

by astrosa

I get a funny feeling the FRA might have something to do with it. Subway cars are constructed according to completely different standards than conventional mainline equipment. It might be permissible, but there would likely be a pretty severe speed restriction involved.

by CSX Conductor

Different air brake systems too. :wink:

by l008com

Still, subway cars can go pretty fast. Just seems odd

by sery2831

Speed has nothing to do with railroad standards. They are designed to be run seperated and with the same type of cars. The FRA doesnt over see operations like that.

Also NYC still gets car by rail, they come on special flat cars. Boston just isnt set up for anything like that. I think it's just easier to truck them. There is a company in upstate in NY that moves all sorts of rail cars. I have moved a few streetcars with them to and from Maine. And they are great, and they have moving rail vehicles down to a science!

by MACTRAXX

Everyone: At one time NYCTA had compromize cars-gondola cars that had a standard RR coupler on one end and a NYCTA subway coupler on the other-so cars could be delivered on their own wheels. Nowadays it seems that many RT cars are delivered on flatcars. An interesting comparison is the LIRR vs. MNCR M7s. The LIRR M7s are delivered on flatcars while the MNCR cars are towed on their own wheels-with a compromize coupler. Just my two cents worth on this debate-MACTRAXX

by sery2831

The current Blue Line cars were delivered with compromized gondola cars. And I am sure the Orange Line was too...

by StevieC48

Just rember the Hawker Siddley cars from Canada were delivered over their own wheels in to the Airport Lead and Wellington where the tracks still are connected.

by McTed

Here's some old Pics I have of the red line #2 cars (1700's) being moved and delvered.

These should answer some of your questions.

by mattster

Awesome photos. I'd like to be on the road when the new Blue Line cars start to get delivered.

by CJ

They are amazing pictures!

And speaking of the New Blue Line Cars, how are they set for delivery?

Will they be trucked in from NY or Rail? Also (round of 20 questions here!) is just the first pair going to wellington, or are they all going there for acceptance testing (Easiest i suppose thru the CR) ? They would go there, have the trucks added on, tested, then taken off (im assuming) and shipped over via truck to the Heights?

Just seems a tad @_@ to me, looks like that old trackage COULD (via looking and sat maps) run again to connect w/ the CR, down the riverside, and very close to the BL trackage.

Can anyone chime in on this?

Thanks! (Not trying to crazily hijack the thread, but it does apply re: Subway Car delivery!)

by StevieC48

From McTed The new Blue Line cars will be trucked because,"If the rapid transit cars were to transported by rail they would have to be loaded on a flat bed car before shipment, because the gearboxes and motors could not take the long haul being horsed."

"Another reason I belive for the trucks is the volume they are delivered which is going to be something like four cars a month once delivery and acceptance begins." Hope that helps CJ

by Robert Paniagua

McTed wrote:Here's some old Pics I have of the red line #2 cars (1700's) being moved and delvered.

These should answer some of your questions.

When were those shots taken, McTed?

Was it June 1986?