Railroad Forums 

• Strike - TWU - November 1st 2016

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1407864  by STrRedWolf

Noel Weaver wrote:1. Working conditions and pay in this case are probably lower than any other transit system in the northeast but they still have to deal with the same high cost of living.
2. The employees should not have to subsidize the fare box, it is probably time to raise the fares to help pay for a fair settlement.
3. The unions had better make sure the "t's are crossed and the i's dotted" before they sign any agreement. I remember one session that I was involved in many years ago the company leader said we all ought to be man enough to handshake on one issue and I held out for it to be in writing and it was a good thing that we got it.
Money might be the biggest problem but it is very important to seal anything in writing.
Noel Weaver
On point #1: No, not exactly. Most every metro hovers around $2/trip if they go flat fee. NYC is $2.25, and MTA Maryland is $1.70. WMATA is considering a bump from $1.75 to $2. The only outliers are WMATA's rail system, which varies between $1.75 to $6, and NJ Transit, which can top $21 one way with it's bus zone system.

On point #2: That depends on history. WMATA's union is currently overpaid in comparison with the rest of the region. When MTA Maryland's unions renegotiate, they point to WMATA on their rates... but MTA Maryland keeps pointing to everyone else, which is in line with reality. WMATA now currently wants to cut their union payout just to make ends meet (they got a "weird" funding structure that is failing and violating federal law).

On point #3: They unions also have to do their own research. Unions are getting hit by the courts if they strike for benefits... but the company is failing in other aspects. I won't be surprised if SEPTA gets the TRO but the negotiations are become handled by the courts.
 #1408005  by millerm277

Noel Weaver wrote:1. Working conditions and pay in this case are probably lower than any other transit system in the northeast but they still have to deal with the same high cost of living.
What? Philadelphia has a drastically lower cost of living than the other major cities (NYC, DC, Boston), especially with regards to rent pricing.
 #1408022  by Gilbert B Norman

CBS Radio News reported during the 5AM CT broadcast, there has been a "tentative settlement" in the PTC labor dispute.

That's all they reported.

Quite likely the "Red Arrow" employees represented by the U2 Local will now fall in line.
 #1408042  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: (11/7)

As has been mentioned the two sides in the SEPTA City Transit Division have come to agreement
to end what now is a six day transit strike.

I noticed mention on local NY area news that there was a strike settlement - From Philly.com:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Two-s ... tract.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Philadelphia Inquirer - Jason Laughlin

I do think that GBN is right in that likely the Victory (Red Arrow) and Frontier Divisions
will probably follow in kind and accept similar settlements with their unions averting any
strike threat there provided that both the CTD employees and SEPTA management OK
the new 5 year contract as has been negotiated. This is good news for many affected...

MACTRAXX
 #1409030  by JeffersonLeeEng

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/11 ... l-n17.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently, the members of TWU Local 234 are going to vote on the new SEPTA contract proposal tomorrow. This far left-leaning editorial gives a bit of a snipe as to how the main parties involved don't seem to the best interest of the rank and file at heart. If this contract were outright rejected by an overwhelming majority, I'm assuming there may be cause to have another immediate walkout. I find it highly doubtful this scenario would play out in a such a way, though...
 #1409329  by DutchRailnut

the contract did get overwhelmingly approved.
 #1409331  by Gilbert B Norman

I think it is certainty that the Red Arrow employees represented by the U2 Local will fall in line.

Christmas is a coming....and their TWU Brothers and Sisters see the goose getting fat.