• Strike!

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by whovian

I thought that the proposal that Jonathan Seidel made to quell the healthcare problem was a fair solution. Even Jeff Brooks said he would consider the idea. I believe it was SEPTA who didn't like it. After all, their management would end up having to pay more than they intended to. The 5% plan wasn't really all that great either, considering the other costs associated with the deal. I think Matthew Mitchell was absolutely right, any healthcare concession by the TWU leadership in the eyes of the majority of its membership is not acceptable, which is an understandable stance when you consider the amount of concessions granted over the last 20-25 years. Folks, these guys have a right to fight for this, although I'll admit it is an unhill battle. Personally, I'd like to see labor make some gains in this economy for once. Nowadays, it seems as though labor is fighting against labor, while the very few enjoy their riches. Was Karl Marx right? I hope not.

by jfrey40535

Oh and you want to hear rude? I tried to get a Zone 2 trailpass for my wife today, and they were all out of them. How convenient. Kind of like the missing and broken token machines on MFL. So I trudged over to Customer Service after waiting in line for 40 minutes only to be told NO (is SEPTA run by Capital One?) and asked why they were out. The idiot lady told me that couldn't be and there would be more after lunch. She also told me I could go to Glenside and get one. She didn't seem to comprehend that I live in the city, ride the train only because of the strike, and live and commute no where near Glenside.

So like a sucker, I waited in line again, only to be told NO again. So tomorrow I'm going to tell my wife to stick her October pass in their faces and tell them she has no pass because they were out (they actually let her ride both ways today with a transpass no additional charge).

These guys can't run their own kitchen!

by reldnahkram

Around 17.30 I saw a WB El train pull into 13th St. It stood in the station for a minute or so, broadcast the 'doors are closing' message, then pulled out. The cars were dark and the boards read 'not in service'. Any idea what's going on?

Can they get away with training management to operate the subways, and would this make a difference?

by Matthew Mitchell

reldnahkram wrote:Can they get away with training management to operate the subways, and would this make a difference?
Yes, and possibly.

SEPTA did train some management personnel on subway/elevated operations last time around, but did not go as far as operating the lines using management personnel. They were much more public about this saber-rattling last time than they are now, assuming that they are in fact retraining managers.

by whovian

Yes, SEPTA has the authority to train management personnel to operate their equipment. Most of the managers are highly reluctant to do so though given that they fall under as much scrutiny as the union operators do in light of any accidents.
Last edited by whovian on Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by glennk419

reldnahkram wrote:Around 17.30 I saw a WB El train pull into 13th St. It stood in the station for a minute or so, broadcast the 'doors are closing' message, then pulled out. The cars were dark and the boards read 'not in service'. Any idea what's going on?

Can they get away with training management to operate the subways, and would this make a difference?
Septa supervisors and management who have come from the operating ranks can and do run trains on the MFL and BSL. I have seen this during previous strikes where phantom trains are run to basically ensure that the tracks stay clear for a quicker startup when service resumes.

by jfrey40535

I've heard the El running all evening, at almost 20 minute intervals. I don't have visual so I don't know which way they're going, but they are running. I wonder if they are training, and if they're doing that with the BSL too. Opening the subways would break the union for sure. It would only take 4 drivers to run 20 minute headways. Wouldn't be enough during the AM peak, but would take some load off the RR.

by Jersey_Mike

Yes, SEPTA has the authority to train management personnel to operate their equipment. Most of the managers are highly reluctant to do so though given that they fall under as much scrutiny as the union operators do in light of any accidents.
Since the last strike the MFL has gotten new cab signals which make operation virtually idiot proof. I say let'em run.

by kevikens

Hey, if they are going to hire temporary employess(ok, scabs) to run rail vehicles I'd like to apply to run the PCC's on the 15. Can't be that much different from driving a Brill on Delaware Ave.

by R3 Rider

PARailWiz wrote:I saw no push-pulls at all today.
They were definitely out and about (I should know, I rode one home!), but I highly doubt SEPTA put them on any extra runs.

by Silverliner II

SEPTA is using supervision to operate pilot trains on the Market Frankford and Broad Street lines just to keep signals, track, and switches operational for the duration of the strike; they've done that on past work stoppages as well.

by jfrey40535

You sure about that? I was hearing them almost every 20 minutes last night. Why would they need pilot trains that often?

by pennengineer

If you live near the El, is it possible that you're hearing the same train after having turned back? That would explain hearing it 20 minutes or less apart, at least for two successive trains. Or are you hearing them every 20 minutes in both directions?

by Silverliner II

I went to high school within sight of the El. During the 1986 strike, they ran the pilot trains every half hour, each way, for an average of hearing a train go by every 15 minutes.

by jfrey40535

If you live near the El, is it possible that you're hearing the same train after having turned back? That would explain hearing it 20 minutes or less apart, at least for two successive trains. Or are you hearing them every 20 minutes in both directions?
I live at Richmond & Allegheny, so I have no idea what I'm hearing, I just know I'm hearing it every 20 minutes (yes, I can actually hear it that far away, I can also hear Amtrak/NJT sounding their horns at Frankford Junction).