• STRIKE RANT

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Mdlbigcat

Now with all of the whining and sob stories coming out of the people without their SEPTA fix, I have to say that there is SOMETHING you can do to end this junk.

First, since part of the problem is financial and the other part is political, the people affected MUST contact their STATE LEGISLATOR, and give those lazy dogs hell about their inability to adequately fund SEPTA.

Second, once you get through to them, then insist on some controls so that all of the money is spent wisely, and a new idea: a NO STRIKE provision in the law before any money is given to a reformed SEPTA [or a new agency to run transit in Philly].

Now if the legislator shows NO BACKBONE in this matter, then VOTE THE IDIOT OUT, and vote in someone who will provide the appropriate action.

Now I know one person cannot do this, but if each and every SEPTA rider [about 400,000 of them] band together and demand action from the politicians, then we wouldn't have to put up with this junk every 3 or 4 years.

Oh, BTW, what the hell was Gov. Rendell doing on Comcast Sports-Net yesterday when he should have had his butt at the Crown-Plaza hotel for the negotiations? I know analyzing the Iggles is his Sunday job, but the SEPTA situation was more grave than him worrying about Andy Reid's play-calling [which sucks real bad these days].

Also where the hell is Mayor Street?
he lives in the most transit-dependent section in the city, and he was nowhere to be found.

And last but not least, where were the Black Clergy in this city? they are the first to come out of their churches whenever a cop shoots a punk, but when this strike hurts their worshippers [especially working mothers and the elderly], but didn't they call out Jeff Brooks and tell him how this will hurt the poorest communities in this city?

In closing, whenever I see junk like this going on in the city, I thank God I had the sense to move out to South Jersey. NJT service may suck at times, but at least its available [thanks to the fact that NJT drivers CAN'T strike - it's against state law.]

by jfrey40535

Where the hell is Faye Moore(Less)? I've had it seeing Richard Baloney's face telling us everyone is exhausted from negotiating while I have to walk 12 blocks to catch a overpacked late train.

by whovian

New Jersey has a more modern day attitude when it comes to expanding their transit base. Every time you turn around, they are trying to improve and expand; SEPTA is the direct opposite. Also, even though their workers cannot strike they do collect retropay upon signing new contracts if applicable, whereas SEPTA does not. If the TWU couldn't strike, they really would have no bargaining power left to negotitate with. Its easy to blame unions for all of SEPTA's woes, and I will admit they are not saints. Overall, as was mentioned in a previous post on this thread, riders must empower themselves and get their local councilmen, congressmen, mayor, governor involved. SEPTA moves at its own pace. I figure that Mayor Street and any of the potential mayoral hopefuls for the next elections are keeping a keen eye on these contract negotiations. I wouldn't be suprised if they don't try to pry a similiar agreement from the Philadelphia Police and Fire Departments when their contracts expire again. As much as the Black Clergy or any other group can plead to the union, one can't expect them to sign any old agreement just for the greater good of the City of Philadelphia. I think that we should direct our efforts to writing to our ELECTED officials, Democrats and Republicans alike, and demand DEDICATED FUNDING for all mass transit agencies in the State of Pennsylvania, as it serves a PUBLIC good. Instead, it seems as though the populace is content with the status quo environment in Harrisburg. SEPTA, as well as Harrisburg, are just as responsible for the strike as the TWU and UTU are, if not more so. Responsible politicians do not allow something as important as dedicated funding be delayed because of some political posturing (early Thanksgiving recess anyone). If your gonna point the finger, make sure its in ALL of the right directions. Speaking of Governor Ed and Comcast, why hasn't anyone questioned his $30mil grant to Comcast for their building downtown, when he is technically in their employ as a guest sportscaster? If that is not a conflict of interest! And if memory serves me correctly, Comcast got their GRANT before SEPTA got their BAILOUT. Talk about priorties!
  by Matthew Mitchell

Mdlbigcat wrote:Second, once you get through to them, then insist on some controls so that all of the money is spent wisely, and a new idea: a NO STRIKE provision in the law before any money is given to a reformed SEPTA [or a new agency to run transit in Philly].
A no-strike law is not a new idea. It's been proposed in the past, but the proponents haven't thought about the consequences. In order to be fair to the workers, a no-strike law would have to have a provision for binding arbitration. As you can see from police and fire contracts, arbitration tends to lock in the existing contract terms, particularly on work rules and assignments. SEPTA cannot afford to continue with business as usual.

by Lucius Kwok

I believe that the Comcast grant was for the public spaces, which means a new entrance plaza for Suburban Station, so that money is benefiting SEPTA.