Railroad Forums 

• Strasburg Railroad with freight car from NS interchange

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1075369  by .Taurus.

Hi

What's the story behind this picture: --> http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=407019

Is this a photo freight ? (then why using modern freight cars ?)
Or is it a "Railfan" trip/special, where they serve the local freight customers at and around Paradise with a steam engine instead of a NS Geep ?

Or does the Strasburg Railroad has a small freight business beside their museum activities running ? (Small warehouse and/or team track located on/nearby the museum ?)

Cheers
 #1075633  by parailfan312

Not only does Strasburg have an interchange with NS, during the summer months they have been operating steam mixed freight trains where up to twelve people can ride for $15 per person, first come, first serve, in the caboose during the approximately one hour long trip. Info can be found at http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/mixed-train.php

Tim
 #1109497  by Mgoldman

Here are a few follow up pics from Strasburg Rail Road's steam powered revenue freight runs -

I was fortunate enough to capture the event with #475 on August 24th (when the sun rose early), once
again in September with 2-10-0 Great Western #90, and then one last time on October 24th which
turned out to be the season finale wrapping up with an 8 car steam powered double headed mixed
train which featured both 2-6-0 CN #89 and 4-8-0 N&W #475!

Here are some pics from the August and October runs:

August 24th - Sunrise in the yard with N&W #475: <here>

August 24th - PIckup at Leaman Junction under catenary wire featuring N&W #475: <Here>

August 24th - The Abingdon Creeper - Strasburg style - with N&W #475 and a mixed train: <Here>

August 24th - N&W #475 backlit returning with a Railbox car, coach and caboose: <Here>

October 24th - Preparing for the double header under the stars featuring CN #89 & N&W #475 (6 AM): <Here>

October 24th - An in-the-dark flashed caboose hop with N&W #475 leading CN #89: <Here>

October 24th - Steam powered predawn double header (CN #89 with N&W #475) on the Keystone Corridor: <Here>

October 24th - A foggy sunrise in the Canadian prairies w/ CN #89 (only - it's Pennsylvania) : <Here>
 #1109969  by jrevans

Mgoldman wrote:Here are a few follow up pics from Strasburg Rail Road's steam powered revenue freight runs -
Great images Mr. Goldman!

I didn't manage to make it out there for any of the mixed runs this year, but if they do it again next year, I'll try my best to make it.
 #1112771  by Mgoldman

Here are a few more - from September 12th, 2012 featuring former Great Western 2-10-0 #90 doing
what she was built to do:

Enjoy!

Great Western #90 simmering under a crescent Moon

Great Western glinting at Carpenters

Foggy morning caboose hop - taken from a silo

Great Western catching some Sun on Amtrak's Keystone Corridor
Last edited by Mgoldman on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1112843  by charlie6017

Wow, Mitch........all I can say is WOW!

That is some of the best photography I have ever seen, seriously. Please don't stop doing what you are
doing because it would be a grave injustice! I look forward to seeing more!

Charlie