Railroad Forums 

• Strasburg #7312

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#825500  by Reader#108

I was wondering if there was any word on 0-6-0 #7312 at Strasburg and if it will run year or if it will be next year. I also went there for the first time this year and noticed 3 locomotives in the roundhouse. Is the 90 the regular locomotive used?
 #825622  by theWatusi

As far as I can remember, every time I was there, they were using #89 and #90.
 #829855  by bpiche84

Reader#108 wrote:I also went there for the first time this year and noticed 3 locomotives in the roundhouse. Is the 90 the regular locomotive used?
Strasburg keeps three locomotives in service in a rotation; #89, #90, and #475. Two are in use at any given time during the summer season while the 3rd goes through it's regularly scheduled maitenance.
 #899874  by GP30 5513

An article in the current issue of Trains! magazine says the CP 7312/Strasburg 31 will be under steam this year. According to them, it should be out.
 #900213  by kjd73170

If anyone has taken the shop tour (I got it as a birthday gift) they'll tell you about the rotation of the locomotives for FRA inspections, boiler repairs, etc on their live steam equipment. Because it has become tougher in the last few years to keep steam equipment running (FRA has gotten better techniques on measuring boiler thickness) the locomotives will probably be even more in rotation (at some point 2 in the shop and 1 live steamer and possible diesel power on the road) and more service will have to be completed in the "off" season to keep up with current schedules. Too many of the locomotives SRR restores have been idle for many years as stationary park items or in the back woods with trees growing through them, and they're probably one of a VERY few shops equipped to handle steam preservation to meet FRA standards. I am always glad to go there to see the live steamers in service there. What a great place. Did you know all of the "Thomas" steamers that tour all over are owned by Strasburg?
 #900227  by Reader#108

There is no doubt that Strasburg is the place if you need your steam fixed....I was just curious about 7312 because her sister 7470 is not far away from me.....it is also funny that they call her 31....Conway Scenic used to call her sister 47 back in the day...funny how they pare down the number the same way...
 #1061650  by South Jersey Budd

31 (7312) is still under repair as of my visit on Sunday 7-8-12. It's cab and tender are still out in front of the shops. Couldn't see in the shop building because the doors were all closed. The Strasburg RR Facebook site says it may be returned to service by the end of the year.

475 was on the hourly trains, 89 on the half hours and 90 was sitting outside the enginehouse.
 #1064703  by bigjim4life

Strasburg recently posted a photo album to their Facebook page with an updated look at construction on #7312. Check it out if you're on Facebook!