• Strange consist eastbound today

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by chnaus

About 2:30 pm I sighted the tail of an eastbound freight along 490 thru Chili. It had what looked like 1 or 2 commuter cars with an odd car ahead and a rusty boxcar (50') behind. The last car was a CSX caboose, probably being used for a rider car.

Did anybody get a close look ??
What the heck did I see ??

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what color were the commuter cars? did u see a road name for the pass. cars?

by chnaus

Commuter cars appeared to be white from that distance.
Too far to see any names.

by CSX Conductor

White coaches may have been for NJT or possibly even SEPTA.

by Xplorer2000

Another possibility..... CDOT's old PATrain coaches were painted mostly white, with dark window bands...could it have been them??

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

they are former METRA cars, i read it in CSX sightings Yahoo group, but i don't know what they are doing over here, they ar ein the W. Springfield yard as of yesterday afternoon

by CSX Conductor

Heading for West Springfield was my second guess. That is where the Safety Train operation is based out of. The cars are stored and maintained there.

by chnaus

Where might I view an image of the cars ??
Where exactly is Metra ??

by CSX Conductor

Metra is the commuter rail agency in Chicago. The above mentioned cars are retired from Metra and being used for firefighter/emergency response personnell training as part of the safety train. (Go to the link provided in my earlier post for more info on the Safety Train.

by octr202

chnaus wrote:Where might I view an image of the cars ??
Where exactly is Metra ??
There were some better pictures online that I can't find right now, but might these be the cars?

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... 3A13%3ACSX