Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by BuddSilverliner269

DutchRailnut wrote:2.3 million for 14 locomotives ?? thats $165 K per locomotive, no much of an upgrade, thats barely a overhaul with a paintbrush.
Maybe they are planning water colors? I think its cheaper :-D
  by Robert Paniagua

DutchRailnut wrote:There are no CDOT trains, there are CDOT funded trains, that either are run by MNCR or SLE.
the 833 is a SLE locomotive as are the other 7 P40's CDOT owns.
There are no plans to run any of these P40's on any MNCR trains, except those using SLE trainsets, like the Waterbury midday trains
Well, there maybe SLE Trainsets with P40s going as far south as Stamford but P40s cannot go into Grand Central since these are not Dual mode engines and do not sport third rail shoes for DC 600 V running and I know these will NOT be converted to Dualmodes with third rail shoes
  by DutchRailnut

Robert no one said they would, The P40's are stricktly for SLE service.
  by Jeff Smith

I don't think they're even in pool service anymore, are they? They've never been 60/40 (all CDOT, lease then purchase), but I do think they were used on Waterbury, right?
  by DutchRailnut

They are no longer in MNCR pool service, stricktly SLE,but in daytime a SLE train is used for a round trip on Waterbury branch.
  by Wayside Observer

So will the CDOT owned P-40's ever get rebuilt,or at least repainted anytime soon?
  by DutchRailnut

your answer is one page back.
  by jt42cwr

Hi,

Does anyone have an update on the current status of the 8 CDOT owned P40's? Are all currently in active service?

Thanks.
  by DutchRailnut

Yes they are.