• Station Inn/Tunnel Inn

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Idiot Railfan

I'm hoping to get to Central PA in the next few months and am interested in the Tunnel Inn in Gallitzen and/or the Station Inn in Cresson.

I have not been to either place. Could some of you good folks tell me the pros and cons of both? I'll have two kids (railfans) and a wife (tolerant of railfans and who likes quilts, antiques, etc.)

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
  by dwil89

I am a regular at The Station Inn www.stationinnpa.com and stay there several times a year...up to over 40 stays there in 8 years....The guest rooms have no TV, no AC, or in room phone. They are comfortable and well maintained. There is a TV in the Common Room on the main floor. I have seen singles, couples, and families with children on many occasions there.....go to the Station Inn Website to get a better idea...The Tunnel Inn I have never stayed at, but I toured through it on an Open House when it was first opened...Rooms have AC, Cable TV, and a few more creature comforts in the rooms are decorated with quilts, etc. www.thetunnelinn.com is their Website. Rates are a bit higher than at the Station Inn, but you get a few more creature comforts in the rooms at The Tunnel Inn...TV, AC..etc.
  by Agent at Clicquot

I've booked two one nighters at the Station Inn in '05. Thumbs up on both visits.

I had track side rooms on both visits. On my January visit, I slept through the overnight parade. On my October 'indian summer' visit, each time power passed (moreso easbounds as they're climbing there) would wake me (I should note I picked the bed closest to the window and propped the pillows so each train *would* wake me. ;-)

In the October visit, I had the B&O room (upstairs). This might be good for a family. It has a second room with two twin beds. The 1st room has a queen.

As the other poster said, the rooms are clean and comfortable but simple. They're primarily a place to sleep and a bivouac for one's kit that isn't needed trackside. If trains aren't your thing, bring your own amusements.

Breakfast is a good chance to get info on places to go to see trains without stepping on NS's cape. Might get info on non-rail sites? If it's warm enough on your visit, sitting on the porch with other fans as the parade rolls by is fun too.

Front St is a somewhat sleeply back road. There's a Sheetz down the hill (r.r. west) http://www.sheetz.com. NS's Cresson Engine Terminal is up the hill the right way. Again, if weather permits, a walk along the street (in full view of the r.r.) might be a good place to burn off some energy after a long car/plane ride.

Also, there's a cat that lives at the Station Inn. Only mentioning in case someone has an alergy.

I look forward to my next stay there ...

* JB *

by Andyt293

I went to the Tunnel Inn's website and noted that they have special two night weekend rates. Is the inn open during the week? Starting a new sales job in January that is going require a lot of overnight travel and I am planning my route and trips with railfanning in mind (don't tell my boss :wink: ).
  by dwil89

When the Tunnel Inn first opened, it advertised as being open weekends only...I believe that it has expanded to during the week also, but only during the warmer months of the year, unless it has expanded to all year round during the week...The cat at the Station Inn is Ashby, named after the owner Tom Davis' middle name...Ashby the cat and I have become fast friends, and he usually likes to be scratched behind the ears....The area just West of Cresson is my parents home town, so I am quite familiar with that area and have covered alot of the area on foot on old Jeep trails and fireroads near the railroad on both sides of the Mountain.
  by Agent at Clicquot

dwil89 wrote:.The cat at the Station Inn is Ashby
That's his name! In '04 there was another kitty, Phoebe, who's since moved to a relation's home. I'll make a note of Ashby's name in my TrapperKeeper. :-)
dwil89 wrote:Ashby the cat and I have become fast friends
I noticed him walking into the kitchen when I was there last Oct. I called to him and ... after a moment ... he ... lazily ... ambled ... over. I'm think he's a well-scratched cat!
dwil89 wrote:The area just West of Cresson is my parents home town, so I am quite familiar with that area
Have you followed the abandoned route around Muleshoe Curve? What about the dead RoW's that diverged from main in the middle of HSC?

I'd like to follow some of the abandoned rights of way, ATV trails in the area ... maybe next summer!

* JB *
  by dwil89

I've hiked part of the Muleshoe Right of way around the old Muleshoe Curve itself...I've also hiked to Staple Bend, Big Viaduct, Bennington Curve, MG, and Horseshoe using old fireroads/ATV trails or hiking trails....I am heading to Cresson tonight (Friday) through Monday....Phoebe was given to Tom's assistant Sandy, who in turn gave it to either her sister or daughter....

by B&A_Railfan

I forgot which rooms give you a trackside view at the Station Inn? I was there two years ago but we didnt book early so we didnt have a trackside room. I should probably book it early this year for April.
  by dwil89

B&A_Railfan wrote:I forgot which rooms give you a trackside view at the Station Inn? I was there two years ago but we didnt book early so we didnt have a trackside room. I should probably book it early this year for April.
The following have full front views...2nd Floor Suites...PRR Room, B@O Room, Black River and Western Room...1st Floor...Reading Room, O@W Room.....Partial View from West Window of Western Maryland Room on 2nd Floor, and no view of tracks from 2nd Floor Erie Room.....Also in Summer months, view is partly obstructed on front upper Rooms by leaves on trees along front porch...(I've been in all of these rooms)

by B&A_Railfan

Great,
Thanks for getting back to me on that.

by Pj

Hey Ryan, long time no see!

I have been there once, and will def go back there next time I am over that way (especially since Altoona is about a two hour drive where I am now). I had the O&W room (and who would know that I would be in the land of O&W just two years later - Sulivan County!).

What is nice is that you also have "downtown" with all the stores, quickmarts and the Railfan park right across the street.

I believe he closed or is closing the tavern downstairs, or at least leasing it out to someone.

He does make good breakfast!

When are you planning on going out that way?

by deparker

I booked my fourth trip to the Station Inn yesterday for late June. Great place to stay for all the things mentioned previously. As an FYI to all, I was told the room rates are going up in March. No info on the new rates, but if you're going, book before then to get the current rates!
  by dwil89

Tom closed the bar at the end of July 2005. He still does some catered parties for private evets in it. The O@W is one of my regular room assignments when I'm in...You'll see my entries in the guestroom notebook in there, and in other rooms at the Inn....have another stay scheduled there for this upcoming weekend.

by Allegheny

I've stayed at both places. As mentioned before, the Station Inn is a little more rustic with no TV, AC, etc., but the view of the railroad is much better, if you are able to get one of the rooms along the front side. Lots of good RR discussion in the common room, and you can watch your RR videos that you have filmed on the TV there. I will definitely miss the tavern downstairs, as it sure was nice to sit out on the porch with a cold one and watch the parade.

The Tunnel Inn, on the other hand, is much nicer inside, and would probably be a better choice if the wife and kids are going along and want to relax doing something else besides watching trains. Some people have their limits, you know! The only problem is the view isn't quite as good, with trains quickly popping out of the tunnels right below you, which you might not see real well depending on which room you get. However, you can walk a very short distance over the street bridge and take elevated photos from the bridge or the PRR caboose in the little parkacross the tracks, and of course you can still get in your car and hit all the spots of the area. I would stay at either place again. Its all in what you want, and which one might be available. Enjoy!

Brian
  by NYSW13000

Me and that cat have become fast friends also, last time I was there we had the room right to the left when you come into The Station Inn. That night the cat came into the room and joined us for a good 3 hrs? Had the door opened the whole time and he didn't want to budge. Had to eventually get him out of the room.
dwil89 wrote:Ashby the cat and I have become fast friends
I noticed him walking into the kitchen when I was there last Oct. I called to him and ... after a moment ... he ... lazily ... ambled ... over. I'm think he's a well-scratched cat!