Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#537274  by NellieBly

Since my consulting firm did the valuation of the out-of-service Staten Island Railway trackage before it was sold to the State of NY, and since I worked for NYCTA when we sent our geometry car to test the Staten Island Railway, I can provide a little detail.

As noted earlier, the Staten Island Railway was built by the B&O, which operated electric third-rail commuter service on it for many years. In fact, the cars were almost identical to BMT 67-foot cars, and at one time there were plans for a tunnel to connect to the BMT Bay Ridge line (current route of the "R" train). Two routes were electrified: St. George ferry terminal to Tottenville, and St. George along the north shore to somewhere around Sailors' Snug Harbor. The north shore electrification was removed many years ago (early 50s), but when we inspected the trackage the occasional long tie could still be seen. High-level concrete stairways and tracks still exist at a number of locations.

Chessie System sold the St. George to Tottenville line to NYMTA in the 1970s, which is when the modified R44s were purchased for the passenger service. Chessie continued to provide freight service, but eventually (early 80s?) freight traffic dried up. The last rail vehicle to cross the AK lift bridge and run along the north shore trackage was our geometry car, with somebody walking ahead of it through the grass to verify that rails were in fact still in place. The car did make it to and from SIRT.

CSX leased the Travis Branch (the trackage next to the West Shore Expressway) to Susquehanna in the mid-1980s when there was a test burn of coal at the ConEd Travis Plant. Susie Q hoped for regular coal traffic, but alas, Mario Cuomo, then the governor, refused to grant permission to burn coal on a regular basis. All the coal that had been brought in was put back in hopper cars by front-end loaders, and taken away by Susie Q, and that was the end of freight service (c. 1987).

Then NY state bought the line, and the Port Authority paid to put the AK drawbridge over the Arthur Kill back in service (late 90s). This was to serve the Howland Hook container terminal. But there was some uncertainty over which route freight would follow, and there was a delay of several years until it was finally decided to build a new connection between the Chemical Coast Secondary and SIRT on the west side of AK. Container traffic for Howland Hook will now move through the Portside facility in Port Newark/Elizabeth. Conrail will provide switching service to get it to/from Howland Hook via the new connection. The former SIRT over to "XC" tower on the former CNJ is, I think, still out of service.

And that's the story. There may be a revival of north shore commuter service, but that's still just talk. There may also be a trash transfer station constructed at the former Ivory Soap plant. But Travis won't be burning coal again anytime soon, apparently.

#537350  by RailBus63

Kamen Rider wrote:
M&Eman wrote:How exactly were the SIRT R44s modified to comply with FRA specs?
They are single units, two tone horns, grab handles on doors ( since removed) modifed control.
Even-numbered cars have cabs, odd-numbered cars do not. Also, cars #388-399 were transferred from the city subway fleet and modified for SIRT.

#537352  by TheKornGuy

Kamen Rider, I am not talking about walking the electrified system, I am talking about walking and/or photographing the abandon North Shore connection between the SIRR and CSX. Anyone know where I can gain access to this or go photograph some of this remaining trackage?

#537365  by Kamen Rider

TheKornGuy wrote:Kamen Rider, I am not talking about walking the electrified system, I am talking about walking and/or photographing the abandon North Shore connection between the SIRR and CSX. Anyone know where I can gain access to this or go photograph some of this remaining trackage?
you weren't specific enough.

#537366  by Kamen Rider

RailBus63 wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:
M&Eman wrote:How exactly were the SIRT R44s modified to comply with FRA specs?
They are single units, two tone horns, grab handles on doors ( since removed) modifed control.
Even-numbered cars have cabs, odd-numbered cars do not.
they're all like that. 44s, 46s and 68s
 #537394  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

NellieBly wrote:The last rail vehicle to cross the AK lift bridge and run along the north shore trackage was our geometry car, with somebody walking ahead of it through the grass to verify that rails were in fact still in place. The car did make it to and from SIRT.
What year did you do this run of the Geometry Car and was this from St. George to AK?
 #537395  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

NellieBly wrote:The last rail vehicle to cross the AK lift bridge and run along the north shore trackage was our geometry car, with somebody walking ahead of it through the grass to verify that rails were in fact still in place. The car did make it to and from SIRT.
What year did you do this run of the Geometry Car and was this from St. George to AK? Was this a NYCTA Rail Geometry Car?
Last edited by UpperHarlemLine4ever on Wed May 21, 2008 7:13 am, edited 37 times in total.

#537545  by Robert Paniagua

What's the top speed on SIRT? 60mph? I know it's 50mph for the city subway, but this route can handle at least up to 65 MPH speeds.
 #537688  by Kamen Rider

UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:
Was this a NYCTA Rail Geometry Car?
reread Nelly's post.

#538094  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

The post does not indicate when this inspection took place. It does sort of answer that it was a NYCTA rail inspection car. How was the car brought to Staten Island (was it trucked over?)

#538172  by Kamen Rider

UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:The post does not indicate when this inspection took place. It does sort of answer that it was a NYCTA rail inspection car. How was the car brought to Staten Island (was it trucked over?)
Oh for the love of...

did you read Nelly's post?

#538315  by BobLI

Ok, The track car went over the AK bridge, but how did it get fto and from NJ to the NYCTA? Float car from brooklyn to NJ via south brooklyn, NYCH to Conrail?

#538375  by hrfcarl

Kamen Rider wrote:
UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:The post does not indicate when this inspection took place. It does sort of answer that it was a NYCTA rail inspection car. How was the car brought to Staten Island (was it trucked over?)
Oh for the love of...

NellieBly wrote:Chessie System sold the St. George to Tottenville line to NYMTA in the 1970s, which is when the modified R44s were purchased for the passenger service. Chessie continued to provide freight service, but eventually (early 80s?) freight traffic dried up. The last rail vehicle to cross the AK lift bridge and run along the north shore trackage was our geometry car, with somebody walking ahead of it through the grass to verify that rails were in fact still in place. The car did make it to and from SIRT.
It seems most of us, including myself, are not as enlightened as you, Mr. Rider. The poster asked for a year and this pasage of Nelly's post describing the N.Shore trackage mentions mid 1980s. Please bless us with your knowledge.

#538384  by Kamen Rider

hrfcarl wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:
Oh for the love of...

NellieBly wrote:Chessie System sold the St. George to Tottenville line to NYMTA in the 1970s, which is when the modified R44s were purchased for the passenger service. Chessie continued to provide freight service, but eventually (early 80s?) freight traffic dried up. The last rail vehicle to cross the AK lift bridge and run along the north shore trackage was our geometry car, with somebody walking ahead of it through the grass to verify that rails were in fact still in place. The car did make it to and from SIRT.
It seems most of us, including myself, are not as enlightened as you, Mr. Rider. The poster asked for a year and this pasage of Nelly's post describing the N.Shore trackage mentions mid 1980s. Please bless us with your knowledge.
It would have been right around 1990. The locomotive for NYCT (the OTHER NYCT) crossed in 06, the frist thing over in 16 years.

#538389  by BobLI

Repeat question, and dont tell me to read the previous post. So how did the car get to AK drawbridge and NJ/NY border from NYCTA Brooklyn? Float car from brooklyn to NJ via South Brooklyn Railway, NYCH to Conrail?