• St. Lawrence & Atlantic Railroad (SLR/SLQ)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
  by Dick H

There were reports on other lists that the former
PAR GP35 #216 would be dropped at Danville Jct.
sometime overnight Tuesday (5/11). This loco
has been purchased by the Conway Scenic RR
and is supposed to have been painted at Waterville
in MEC yellow and green. I have seen no other posts
since Tuesday. Anyone know if it did indeed get left
at Danville Jct? Presumably, it would go to Groveton
on #393 and be dropped there for the NHCR to take
to Hazens for interchange to the Conway Scenic. At
any rate, keep an eye out on the SL&A for the 216 and
the 252, which will also be heading to the CSRR at some
point. Also, the CSRR 1055 Alco Switcher has been sold
to the Downeast Scenic RR and will be making its way at
some point from Groveton to Danville Jct in June. While
it has friction trucks, supposedly it will be moved by rail.
  by CN9634

Hey Dick,

The unit is currently at Danville. Not sure if it has moved to the SLR yet or net. Pics should be coming online shortly.
  by BM6569

The 216 was picked up by the SLR this afternoon at Danville Junction. Here are some pictures I shot of it. It looks great!

Warren
  by toolmaker

That sure is pretty. Does it run?
  by CN9634

Not sure how they will make the move, but I assume the SLR will move the 1055 and 6505 lite down to Danville Junction. Being as the 2607 delievered the 216 I'm willing to bet the 2607 will haul these units down lite. I only assume this due to the antiquated condition of the 1055's trucks. I expect them to travel at 10MPH the entire trip to Danville. Keep an eye and an ear out for the 2607. I would assume it would go down tomorrow during normal hours. Keep the scanner close!
  by nh railfan

If anyone can get pictures of the move, that would be awesome!!!

Thanks
  by trainmancs

i called the SLR company and was told that they do still send a car or 2 down to b&m beans in portland from auburn but in yarmouth from my observation on 6/24 while crossing them they look like they have not been used in several weeks because the tops of the rails are a thick rust color
  by trainmancs

also at river bend road in yarmouth there are a bunch wood beams sitting along the side of the tracks that looks like they are going to be replacing the crossing beams
  by bwparker1

So no more lumber to Hancock in Yarmouth or anything at East Deering? That is really too bad.
  by trainmancs

nothing in yarmouth or portland except B&M baked beans in east deering which only sees one hopper car about once every 2 weeks, however there are some flat cars and boxcars at the PANAM/SLR jct in yarmouth and some more flat cars in portland. also the line almost looks abandoned in portland because of all the overgrowth of tall grass around the tracks
  by stnemason

Hi All,
New to this site and want to say thanks up front for a very informative thread. I will soon be in the neighborhood of West Bethel and Gilead, ME and was wondering if anyone knew the schedules for the SLR. I have been digging into the history of the Grand Trunk Railway and want to share the live and current version with the youth I will have for a week-long summer camp. Thank you for any help you can offer!
1870timetable_s [320x200].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Fritz

Hello,
My daughter Abigail and I were in Island Pond this afternoon and were surprised to hear a train rolling to a stop at the Island Pond office. It turns out that it was the track geometry train. The train arrived at 1515 and left at 1525 with the following:

SLR GP40-2 3008
SLR GP40-2 3202
DOTX 219

I don't know if they will only work west to Norton and return back east from there or if they will continue on into Quebec and points north and west. Anyhow I just wanted to give a heads-up that this train was rolling west on the Sherbrooke Subdivision.

Interestingly, these same two units (3202 and 3008) went south on the Groveton Branch with the NHCR 7324 last Friday and then back north yesterday with 12 tank cars retrieved from Whitefield. I am not sure why they needed the extra SLR engines for this move, but there you have it.

Have a great day,
Fritz
6 miles from the SLR in mostly sunny and breezy Newark, Vermont
  by CN9634

My father caught it this morning in Oxford, just west of Lewiston Junction. Good to know how fast they are able to move stuff over the road! I'm also assuming they may have had some heat restrictions on the rails today. As far as I know that unit, the 219, is inoperable. This is of course if they have fixed it since it ran last. Was at NMJ maybe a week or two ago.
  by stnemason

I was in Gorham, NH at, ironically, the historical train station when they went by, headed south, at a good clip in the late morning of Wednesday, 14 July. Didn't get any nomenclature, but sounds like the three listed above. Another southbound woke me up in the early morning around 2am on Thursday the 15th as I slept under the stars about an eighth of a mile west of the tracks.
Thanks for your replies!