• Springfield Terminal pickup truck sighted in Binghamton

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by johnpbarlow

While traveling wb on rte 17 through Binghamton this past Saturday afternoon, I passed a gray Springfield Terminal pickup truck pulling a trailer holding a metal stairway and some tanks. Any idea what this was and what the truck was doing 150 miles from the nearest PAR railhead?

by Cowford

God bless him... he made a run for it!

by CN9634

hahahaha!

by SPACEMONKEY

Maybe "Springfield Terminal illness" sold one of it's trucks with some junk on e-bay....

by johnpbarlow

I think I figured it out. While Binghamton is 150 miles from PAR railhead, it's only ~70 miles from Pan Am Clipper service to Elmira-Corning airport. So maybe the westbound ST pickup truck (which looked new and resplendent in gray) was hauling a metal stairway to the airport to be used for servicing Pan Am BA Jetstream 3100 aircraft.

Nevermind...

by Otto Vondrak

They forgot they cast off D&H in 1988...

by mick

The State of New York
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Cowford

Probably because everything changes over time. You could ask the same question of the UTU and their fights against cabooseless trains and two-man crews... but subsequent support of RCL.

by Trains

Mario Cuomo

by oibu

I've long said that while Guilford has always been demonized and is a favorite whipping boy of almost everyone... they really weren't doing anything worse in those "terrible days"in the 80s when they "caused" (umm.. labor strikes on their own, management doesn't tell them to...) those crippling strikes (that caused such huge impacts that New England railroading has never fully recovered), than what every other regional or class I has done over the 20+/- years since. Frankly I can't blame them too much just because they happened to be the only ones with the jewels to try to be the first ones to pull it off.

Not that I don't sympathize with labor... but for better or worse, times change, the economy evolves, technology marches on, and so to do we all.