• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

NS MOW did maintenance on the Tier this afternoon between MP 217 and 236 until 5 PM today. IIRC, this stretch of track is just west of Binghamton.
  by s4ny

I saw on the news tonight that police now think the 2 escaped convicts took freight trains. They were spotted in
Erwins, NY and the news showed trains running through the NS yard in Gang Mills.

Later they were spotted in Friendship, NY, which is on the old Erie main line to Meadville.
The line is now operated by the WNY&P.
  by sd80mac

s4ny wrote:I saw on the news tonight that police now think the 2 escaped convicts took freight trains. They were spotted in
Erwins, NY and the news showed trains running through the NS yard in Gang Mills.

Later they were spotted in Friendship, NY, which is on the old Erie main line to Meadville.
The line is now operated by the WNY&P.

The cops are back at north again and are looking in area of Owl Head, NY...
  by Matt Langworthy

The symbol for auto rack train 14T has been changed to 28N for the Tier. NS still uses the 14T symbol but the train terminates at Fostoria, OH now... with 28N handling the auto traffic eastward to Ayer, MA.
  by sallenparks

Hey Matt I think I saw your 66N you asked about a page back on my way into work yesterday don't know for sure though but all I saw was tanks heading west taking on fuel behind Walmart. I hope this is the right train their are a lot of tanks on the old ERIE now a day's but not in long cuts like this. That's in Horseheads NY for those on here not familiar with the area. :-D
  by Matt Langworthy

Thanks! One minor correction-67N would be the tanks you saw heading west. The eastbound tank train would be 66N. again, your help is appreciated.
  by s4ny

Any flood damage to the former Erie line from flooding in Swain and Hornell? I see pictures just posted on
Facebook. The storm took place Tuesday around 5 PM.

It looks severe.
  by Matt Langworthy

There was tronado touchdown in West Almond and possibly Howard, too... with straight line wind damage along much of I-86 corridor in that area. The flooding was further east, including Woodlawn Ave near the NS bridge.
  by Matt Langworthy

Does anybody know if NS has any plans for MOW/trackwork blackouts next month? I am planning my vacation for next month and would like to spend at least 1 day trackside.
  by Matt Langworthy

There is a symbol change on the Tier- 13T has become 36T and 12T has become 37T.
  by Matt Langworthy

There had been credible reports that NS planned to abolish 38T and 39T after the D&H acquisition. It certainly looked that way when the "final" run of 38T occurred last Thursday. However, 38T did run last night... so I guess we'll see what happens.
  by Matt Langworthy

The reports of the demise of 38T and 39T were premature. Both trains are still running. However, they no longer run with CP power. In fact, I saw 39T with a pair of NS locomotives last weekend at MP 389/Spring Road in Alexander.
  by Matt Langworthy

Does anybody have a list of defect detector locations between Buffalo and Binghamton on the Tier?
  by SteelRail

Here's what I have as of 2008:
SR 223.1 HBD-DED
SR 243.0 HBD-DED
SR 264.0 HBD-DED
SR 282.5 HBD-DED
SR 302.5 HBD-DED
SR 322.3 HBD-DED
SR 339.6 HBD-DED
SR 359.6 HBD-DED
SR 266.0 DED
SR 378.2 HBD-DED