Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Tadman

Yesterday I was riding to South Bend for the holiday. At Hegewisch, the conductor stepped off, unlocked a box on the platform, and collected a dayglo-yellow canvas briefcase. I later saw him with a few of these. I've never seen such before, but I'm guessing it's something like company mail or paperwork. Anybody know what this is?
  by BrianLM007

Pretty sure that's the cash & check collections "envelope" for the day from the ticket agent (at least the stations that still have them).
  by justalurker66

BrianLM007 wrote:Pretty sure that's the cash & check collections "envelope" for the day from the ticket agent (at least the stations that still have them).
There is an aluminum lockable box on the platform at Dune Park as well. It used to be on the walkway to the station building and was moved to near the temporary end of the high platform when phase 1 opened. Now the entire high platform is open the box is located near the connection to the building.

That station only has vending machines for tickets ... fed by credit cards.

The box has been unlocked and empty when I've been at Dune Park and paid attention to it.