Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1641950  by MattW

Something I've noticed is the gauntlet tracks on this route seem "backward." The further tracks for freight trains that don't need the platform are the diverging route, while the straight through, and presumably faster route is the close track. Why? Wouldn't it make more sense to give the non-stopping trains the faster through route?
 #1641960  by ExCon90

It could have something to do with the need for an Approach Diverging indication on the distant signal, requiring the train to reduce speed much sooner than would be necessary if the home signal at the gauntlet displays Clear. (This could cause a significant delay under PTC, which is designed to make it impossible for the least-skilled engineer to screw up.). The cumulative effect of such speed reductions at those stations could easily add about 10 minutes or more to everybody's commute. I'd imagine the number of freight movements would be a small
fraction of the passenger movements, and the freight movements will be slower anyway,
Last edited by ExCon90 on Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1642186  by justalurker66

ExCon90 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:40 pmIt could have something to do with the need for an Approach Diverging indication on the distant signal, requiring the train to reduce speed much sooner than would be necessary if the home signal at the gauntlet displays Clear. (This could cause a significant delay under PTC, which is designed to make it impossible for the least-skilled engineer to screw up.). The cumulative effect of such speed reductions at those stations could easily add about 10 minutes or more to everybody's commute. I'd imagine the number of freight movements would be a small fraction of the passenger movements, and the freight movements will be slower anyway,
Yep. They can cut time off of the station stops by allowing passenger trains to run on the non-diverging route at MAS to the platform instead of having PTC limit the train to the diverging route speed prior to the turnouts. NICTD engineers are skilled at bringing the trains to a smooth stop at the appropriate stopping point without PTC requiring a slower speed hundreds of feet before that stopping point.

Freight movements are already limited below the turnout speeds for the new gauntlets (#20 switches have been installed in all places except Michigan City). Any passenger trains running express on the gauntlet will take a hit, but for the majority of trains having the non-diverging route at the platform is the best choice.

Hegewisch Track 1 just reopened with the new gauntlet arrangement and work is beginning to convert Track 2.
 #1642644  by justalurker66

ExCon90 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:10 pm1. What's a #20 good for? 45 mph?
2. Couldn't they just run the expresses through on the straight route? Plenty of operations with high platforms do that.
Yes, 45 MPH. How fast do other operations pass high platforms without stopping?

NICTD has permanent speed restrictions past most platforms, for example Dune Park is posted as 50/35 (instead of 79 for passenger trains). The new schedule has several peak trains that skip stations (usually followed closely by a train serving the skipped stops). I'll let NICTD decide if they use the gauntlet or not for express trains.
 #1642665  by justalurker66

Press Release
https://mysouthshoreline.com/south-shor ... -schedule/

South Shore Line is pleased to announce the implementation of a new train schedule effective Tuesday, May 14, 2024. This new schedule is the result of the capital improvements made to the South Shore Line infrastructure by the Double Track NWI project. Click here to view the full schedule of train times.

“The final completion of Double Track allows for the addition of 14 weekday trains, revised times, reduced travel times and new, limited-stop express service,” said Michael Noland, President of South Shore Line. “In addition to new weekday trains, portions of weekend train times have also been modified to reflect improved travel times.”

Highlights of the new service include:

Increased origination service out of the new Miller Station and new 11th St. (Michigan City) Station.
Increased morning and afternoon rush hour train time options.
New limited-stop express train service.
High-level platform ADA access at 11th St., Portage/Ogden Dunes, and Miller train stations.
Bikes on Trains has been expanded to include all trains, all year long, at existing bike stations. With the completion of Double Track and conclusion of long-term busing substitution, the following stations are now also bike stations: 11th St., Portage/Ogden Dunes, and Miller.

The new schedule provides 53 trains to and from Chicago, with both express and local improvements. The new limited-stop express train service will offer the following travel times to Chicago:

Michigan City – 67 min.
Dune Park – 57 min.
Portage/Ogden Dunes – 51 min.
Gary (Miller) – 46 min.
South Bend – 109 min.

“We sincerely appreciate passengers’ patience and understanding throughout the construction, temporary busing, and schedule revisions required in order to reach substantial completion of the Double Track Project,” said Nicole Barker, Director of Capital Investment and Implementation/Double Track NWI Project Manager.
 #1642803  by Tadman

justalurker66 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:25 pm NICTD has permanent speed restrictions past most platforms, for example Dune Park is posted as 50/35 (instead of 79 for passenger trains).
Mathmatically that isn't bad. It's the sub-20mph running that kills your schedule time. We've had a number of engineers on here tell us the secret to keepign a schedule or making up time is to come in hot and know how to stop on a dime. That's not possible when you have to crawl through the gauntlet switch at 10mph at 100 yards short of the station.
 #1642804  by Tadman

justalurker66 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:57 pm
Bikes on Trains has been expanded to include all trains, all year long, at existing bike stations.
I really don't like this. Bikes take up a lot of space and hurt dwell time. With the proliferation of Divvy bikes in the city, there's no reason they can't sign an agreement with DIvvy or similar to store 20-30 bikes at each station in Indiana. No space on the train required, no safety and dwell time issues, and now every station is a bike station - no need for high platforms, etc...
 #1642843  by justalurker66

The high platforms are there to reduce time loading passengers onto the trains (and letting them step off of the train quicker). One door per car with people climbing up and down steps one at a time is not optimal. Low platforms can turn a short sub-minute station stop into several minutes of lost time. Being able to have bikes on trains is secondary, and since the bikes are only allowed at high platform stations where they roll on/roll off with no steps in the car the dwell time is minimal.
 #1642868  by Tadman

Perhaps I misspoke, the high platforms are useful for busy stations. I was only saying that if they placed Divvy-like bikes at all putlying stations, there would not be a high platform requirement to be a "bike station". Clark road or Hudson Lake could be bike stations. Also it would make a lot more sense to reopen New Carlisle and put in bike stations.
 #1643023  by justalurker66

Ok .. I don't believe there are enough people going to Clark Rd ("Airport"), Shops or Hudson Lake to support a bike rental station. Beverly Shores would be plausible since it is a short ride (1 mile) to the beachfront (fee now required) and trails (currently free) and the rentals would also be usable by people from the nearby campground. Gary Metro is the only other station that is not high platform.
 #1643035  by RandallW

When I was at the Pentagon as a contractor, my commute was to take the Metro in with my bike on board and to ride the bike home as part of my exercise routine (it was a 25 mile ride). Bike rentals at stations would not allow for that kind of routine, but there is zero valid reason to prohibit people from doing their best to be and stay healthy while also using public transit provided there is space available to do so.