• Sound Decoder Installation in Walthers F40

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by LIRR272

Hello,

I recently purchased a Walthers F40 locomotive for Metra that I want to install a sound decoder. I have wired the motor leads to the decoder, but have questions regarding the wires coming from the trucks. I wired the left side of the both trucks to the frame, which the black wire from the decoder is connected. The wires from the right side of truck I wired to the red lead of the decoder.

I placed the unit on the track and there is sound (but no control of the sound such as turning the horn, bell, etc. on or off)and there are no shorts. Unfortunately the unit doesn't move, so is there something I've wired incorrectly?
  by LIRR272

diburning wrote:Well, first off, wire the left side picksups to the decoder, not the frame.

Second, did you use the address of 03? (the default address)
Which wire of the decoder?
  by ApproachMedium

Left side is black wire, right side is red wire. Remember, Red and Right both have Rs. ALWAYS wire truck pickups DIRECTLY to the decoder. Never use the frame as a subsitute except in Athearn Blue Box situations.... Begin by trying to use address 3 to control the locomotive and go from there.