• SOS...need info on snow trains to Old Forge in 1939

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by kmnoske

Yes, Frank, I did a bit more research and you're entirely right..the snow trains stopped at Thendara, not Old Forge. What I need to know is what the layout of the land was. If you got out at Thendara, and say you took a cab or private car (i read the townsfolk would rally round and cart people into town), then how far was it to Maple Ridge? And where was the toboggan run in relation to the Thendara Station? Did you set out East or West to get to it? How long would it take you to get there? Any shortcuts (by dogsled???).
Also, where was Maple Ridge Ski Slope in relation to any hotels? What hotels would have catered to that ski crowd back then?? I have so many questions, I've decided to take a jaunt up to Old Forge and see if I can't scare up a few of the older folks who might be able to answer some of them. If you know of any folks who would be kind enough to let me pester them with my infernal questions, please let me know. I'd love to run into someone who is familiar with this whole snow train business!!

Gratefully, Karen N.

by frankc

Old Forge is 2.2 miles east of Thendara on route 28. Both towns should appear on any map of New York State. And route 28 did exist in 1939. I was not aware of a toboggan run in the area and the slope name you mentioned is not familiar. Going to Old Forge is a very good idea. When there be sure to go to the local historical association. It is officially the Town of Webb Historical Association. They are located in town in an old house on the left side of the road about halfway into town as you come in from Thendara. They are approximately across the street from the school. Their recently completed research room should keep you busy for a while. They will surely have info on hotels that catered to skiers in the thirties. And they will likely have info on area ski slopes. Their Director is Gail Murray and she is full time. Tell her I sent you. The phone there is 315/369-3838.

BTW, Thendara is still a very busy railroad town. It is the base for the Adirondack Scenic Railroad, a tourist excursion railroad that runs trains out of Thendara in both directions. They have restored the original station and you'll see most of their equipment stored there. I'm sure they're now shut down for the winter. Behind the station is VanAuken's Tavern, a very old hotel that is still in business. Might fit well into your story.

Thendara is small, only a few dozen buildings. By comparison, Old Forge is much larger with motels, restaurants, shopping, and more. There are several motels in town that might make a good base of operations for you. The whole area is also a winter sports region - mostly snowmobiling these days - so the town is busy all year. You might want to avoid the midwinter busy season. Let me know when you're going and I'll recommend a good restaurant.

by kmnoske

Dear Frank:
My sweetheart (he LOVES to camp at Stillwater) and I will probably be driving up from Rochester to Old Forge and Thendara this weekend, so if you've got a restaurant suggestion, my friend, fire away! There is a fascinating article about the snow trains in Adirondack Life (online)...it's what first got me interested!

Thanks again for everyone's help!!!

Karen N.

by frankc

Restaurant is Frankie's. It's in Old Forge just off of Main St. facing a parking lot. I think they have a sign on Main St. where you turn into the parking lot. Might need a reservation. VERY popular. It's very good Italian. If you'd rather not eat Italian, go to Seventh Lake House on, you guessed it, Seventh Lake - perhaps 15 miles east of Old Forge on route 28.

by 8222

The previous posters covered a great deal, so I'll just add my two cents. Both Kudish books are well worth the money. I believe the second is still readily available. If you are heading to Old Forge, you can easily trace (by foot or by car) the path of the old railway line from Thendara (Fulton Chain on older maps) to Old Forge. Utilitiy poles dot the way for a good stretch. The cut stone bridge abutments over the Moose river are quite visible from Rt. 28 (looking east) and you can walk to them from either side. The tobaggan (sp?) hill is just a block or two away from the ROW. In Old Forge proper, it's very hard to tell there was anything there - too much dirt pushed around in the past 60 years - so don't get your hopes up. Thendara is pretty much intact.

Here's a map:

http://docs.unh.edu/NY/oldf01nw.jpg

P.S. When you are in Old Forge, go to the big hardware store in the middle of town. I'm not kidding - you really REALLY must go. There is a book section in the back and you'll find lots of stuff.

by CarterB

Some great period info on Old Forge and the ski trains.

http://www.adirondacklife.com/template/ ... etid/16447

by kmnoske

Yes, thank you, this is the article I started off with! Great minds think alike, I suppose! And yes, I second that...I'd love to travel like they used to...these old trains are wonderful!

Longing for the old days, KMN
  by kmnoske

Wow...can't wait to go and explore. If anyone knows of a specific person who might have a great memory of the 30-40's and would be willing to have their brain picked...please let me know. I'd love to get some homey details from someone in the area.

thanks again for everyone's help!

KMN

by frankc

I can help you out with local history. My family has been vacationing in northern Herkimer County for over one hundred years. I recently participated in the writing of two books about Big Moose Lake (see them at the hardware store). I contributed to Mike Kudish's second book on Adirondack Railroads and he mentions me in the sections on Big Moose and Beaver River. If you want to take this chat off-line, figure out how to send email via this forum. I think there's a way. If other readers would like to see such info online maybe we should start a new topic. Or, I suppose, keep it going here.
  by kmnoske

I've decided to set my couple on a steam tractor as they go cross-country in the snow, but I could only find one pix and that seems to show THREE people; one in back, in the locomotive part, and two in front, one handling the steering wheel over the ski-part. Got any links or info to the contrary that would enable this contraption to be handled by only 2 folks!?

Thanks again!
KMN
  by eddiebear

I am sure there were lots of steam tractors that could be operated by one person, depending on the size and complexity. After all, gasoline farm tractors and logging tractors had already been around for a few decades and they usually were operated by one person. Maybe a trip to the Automotive/Transportation shelves at Barnes & Noble or Borders will reveal an album or two with photos of these infernal machines. Or maybe one of those Arcadia postcard type books on logging or the North Country areas.

I think it was a French guy, Cugnot or something like that, had a steam powered vehicle on the roads of pre-1789 Revolution France, and from the depictions it was one person operated.

You are in charge here. Have Little Nell be in control and have Dudley Do Right shoveling coal or tossing wood into the boiler!
  by kmnoske

Well, of course, you're right, Ed...I could make them sprout wings and fly if I wanted but I know there are hundreds of guys like y'all out there just WAITING to catch me in an error, so I do try to keep things relatively honest!

Thanks for the update!

Karen N.