• Some info on the new Blue Line cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by stevefoley

That would probably be the District Line (Sub surface) 78 stock. All tube stock since 92 (Central/Northern/Jubilee) also has pushbuttons. The new Jubilee extension even has platform side doors and 60MPH tunnel speeds, but it'll be decades before the blue line catches up to that.
  by caduceus

stevefoley wrote:That would probably be the District Line (Sub surface) 78 stock. All tube stock since 92 (Central/Northern/Jubilee) also has pushbuttons. The new Jubilee extension even has platform side doors and 60MPH tunnel speeds, but it'll be decades before the blue line catches up to that.
It could have been - I don't remember what lines I rode. I do seem to remember that it was the only one I was on that top of the doors curved inward with the roof of the car, and it looked like the trains barely fit into the tunnels, and the reason the doors curved was to fit the tunnel. Definitely fit the name "Tube". It was definitely before 90, more like early 80s.

I have a T shirt with a map of the Underground somewhere...whoops. Off topic...

by ryanov

caduceus wrote:I don't see why having a button to manually open the doors makes things that much more complex. Simple interrupter circuit - motorman/guard "unlocks" the doors. THis provides the signal which is by default interrupted before reaching the door. Press the button and the circuit is completed and the door opens. All doors close when the motorman/guard releases them.

A long time ago when I was in London riding the Tube, one of the lines had pushbutton doors - button would light up when you could open them. I thought it was neat. I was probably somewhere around 12-14 at the time.
NJT went this route recently on its RiverLINE. The Volvo articulated buses used to be this way also. People stand there for a moment, wonder "WTF?!" and then read the sign. Doesn't take long for everyone to switch over.

by vanshnookenraggen

I think I am missing something with the doors. How are they better than just opening all the doors? Or would this just beused off-peak and at underused stations?

by StevieC48

As it was said earlier on this post less wear and tear on the doors and keep the cars warm or cold during the seasons.

by octr202

There's a lot of nifty things that are possible. I want to say it was somewhere in the UK (on a British rail DMU in the mid-80's), but to be honest I can't remember, I recall being on a train with both open and close buttons. The idea was, that while the train was boarding at a terminal point, passengers could use the open button on the outside, board, and then push the "close" button inside to close the doors while they waited for departure. Was pretty neat -- I remember sitting for like 15 mintues one night, and everyone that got on did just that.

Now, somehow I just don't see that working too well with Americans....either no one would use it, or kids would be closing doors on their friends every day!

by Derek Bernier

Ah hope that the Blue Line cars come on time, not like the Green Line trolleys five years ago.

by StevieC48

And hopefully they dont have acepatnce problems for the T

by dudeursistershot

Looks just like all the other T cars...

Why doesn't the T try to upgradeall the cars to look modern? Here's a good model:

by CJ

Well by "all" they couldnt, those are loooooow, need nice high ones for the heavy rail (platforms)

Tho they do seem nice for the green line, there are prob too many things wrong w/ em to fit, and like the T would spend $$ on modern equipment? hah