Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Patrick A.

I'd buy a Grand Central or Springfield.
  by #5 - Dyre Ave

Patrick A. wrote:God almighty it's a freakin sign! Forgive me if I am not one of the enlightened ones, but if there is sufficient evidence to show that a new board will save previous $$ then so be it. And before any of you go down the GCT road about preservation, GCT is an entire building and an engineering marvel with plenty of uses beside a railroad terminal.
And Grand Central Terminal had digital boards put in. No one's mourning their installation. It shouldn't be a problem at New Haven.
Jersey Mike wrote:I'd rather have the Solari board than another study of Springfield Line commuter rail. The question isn't if CDOT is wasting money, but how CDOT is wasting money. Might as well waste it on something the public can enjoy rather than having money go into the pockets of consultants and insiders.
Agreed. ConnDOT has studied Hartford/Springfield commuter rail to death. Just build it already. They should have had commuter service between Springfield, Hartford and New Haven years ago.
  by shadyjay

theozno wrote:I want the Vermonter one off the Solari Board shadyJay can have the other one
I would also not be surprised if the Montrealer is still in there
Actually, I'd be content with Grand Central, Old Saybrook, or Vermont. Outside of Montreal and Hyannis, I wonder what former destinations would be on there.

[the Vermonter has been advertised as to/from 'VERMONT' on the boards, vs Saint Albans, its actual destination]
  by Ridgefielder

shadyjay wrote:
theozno wrote:I want the Vermonter one off the Solari Board shadyJay can have the other one
I would also not be surprised if the Montrealer is still in there
Actually, I'd be content with Grand Central, Old Saybrook, or Vermont. Outside of Montreal and Hyannis, I wonder what former destinations would be on there.

[the Vermonter has been advertised as to/from 'VERMONT' on the boards, vs Saint Albans, its actual destination]
Since it probably only dates from the early '80s I don't there'd be anything that cool in terms of destinations-- not like you're going to find "Mount Desert Ferry" or "Bretton Woods" or something. Would imagine there's a "via Inland Route" in there, though. Also the train names that were done away with when they went to the Acela/Regional configuration-- Merchant's Limited, Gilt Edge, The Banker's, etc.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The train names were phased out by 1999 with the introduction of Acela Regional (Bankers, Merchant's Limited, Minuteman, Patriot, Mayflower, Concord). I still informally use these names.
  by DutchRailnut

Otto Vondrak wrote:IF you miss the Solari board that bad...

http://ottovondrak.com/flip/

-otto-
what no clickity clack ;-)
  by Noel Weaver

Amusing and interesting but if I had to use that to catch a train, I would go "nuts" if I had not already reached that stage by
then.
Noel Weaver
  by shadyjay

Any news regarding the Solari replacement? Seems like this project has been going on for way longer than originally predicted (not that it surprises me for any ConnDOT project).
  by theozno

when I wait for my Vemonter one thing did pop up this last week... all the screens are in place and they are putting up signs testing in Progress.
  by Clean Cab

theozno wrote:when I wait for my Vemonter one thing did pop up this last week... all the screens are in place and they are putting up signs testing in Progress.
I would have studied if I knew there was going to be a test!! :)
  by runningwithscalpels

That's okay, it's 4 years overdue to come down, guess you have another 4 years to study at the rate CDOT accomplishes anything ;)
  by shadyjay

So I passed through Union Station today after coming down from VT on Amtrak and awaiting the 5:15 SLE to OSB. Noticed 2 new LCD panels to the left of the ticket window, two by the north entrance to Union Ave, 3 at the entrance to the tunnel and one at each track gate. Also noticed several on the platform, though these are Daktronics and of a different design than the others. All said "WELCOME TO UNION STATION". One on the Track 1 platform had 3 trains listed.

With all the new panels around the northern end of the waiting room, is there going to be one where the Solari is itself? Seems a little overkill that they'd need that many when just the one board has served "well" since the 80s?

Also several of the "Daktronics" style seen at State Street, displaying only "WELCOME TO STATE ST".
  by NH2060

shadyjay wrote:With all the new panels around the northern end of the waiting room, is there going to be one where the Solari is itself? Seems a little overkill that they'd need that many when just the one board has served "well" since the 80s?
Well with NHHS and any expanded Amtrak and SLE service possible within the next 10-20 years on the horizon perhaps they feel the extra space is necessary to accommodate the additional arrivals/departures.